The auction took place on Tuesday, February 13, 2018, at 17:00 Israeli time.
The preview and the auction were held at our offices: 8 Ramban st. Jerusalem.
Auction Preview on:
Thursday, 08.02.18, 12:00 – 20:00
Sunday, 11.02.18, 12:00 – 20:00
Monday, 12.02.18, 12:00 – 20:00
Tuesday, 13.02.18, 10:00 – 13:00
The Auction was held on 13/02/18
A circumcision knife in the original case. [Brno, Moravia, early 19th century, ca. 1810].
Filigree silver; steel; wooden case; velvet lining.
A circumcision knife with a handle made of silver filigree and granulation. At the tip of the handle is a ball set with a red gemstone. A gold leaf is rolled inside the handle. The knife is inserted in the original wooden case, carved as a fish with eyes, fins and scales and lined with velvet.
Knife: 19 cm. Fair condition. The blade, handle and tip of handle are detached from each other. The handle is slightly broken and lacking parts where the handle is attached to the blade. The stone set at the tip of the handle is broken. Breaks, stains and bends. Case: 23 cm. Good condition. Slightly worn and rubbed. Suspension loop at the edge.
See similar item in: Jewish Tradition in Art, The Feuchtwanger Collection of Judaica (The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, 1970), item no. 20.
A set of utensils for circumcision (Brit Milah), in an original case. [Morocco, early 20th century].
Silver; steel; bone; paper-covered wooden case; velvet lining.
Circumcision (Brit Milah) set, including: knife with one-sided blade, screwed to a bone handle (made by Taylor's Eye Witness); two small bone utensils with a silver covered top engraved with floral patterns; three shields, one marked; six round cotton bandages, pierced in the center, for re-use. The utensils are inserted in a shining paper-covered wooden case lined with red velvet.
According to the owner, the utensils belonged to Rabbi Yosef Chaim, eldest son of Rabbi Mordechai Benjo of Tangier.
Knife: 16 cm; shields: 6.5X4 cm to 7X4.5 cm; height of bone utensils: 5 cm, diameter: 3.5 cm; case: 13.5X10.5X6.5 cm. Fair condition. The case is partly dismantled. Velvet is unraveled and faded. Handle of knife is cracked and the blade is rusted. Silver covers are detached from tops.
Spice container. [Poland, 19th century].
Silver, cast, engraved and soldered. Filigree.
Oval container, split in the center, with a pierced upper part. The two parts of the container are connected with a hinge. Positioned on three rounded legs, engraved with a pattern of rhombuses, resting on a flat and dented silver ring. A basket is placed between the legs. The container is set between petals with filigree ornamentations, and on its top are two leaves and branches with an ornament shaped as a bud.
Height: approx. 16.5 cm. Good condition. Stains. Some bends. Breaks. Filigree ornamentations are lacking and defected.
Spice container. [Eastern Europe, second half of 19th century].
Silver, cast, repoussé, engraved and soldered.
A container designed as an Etrog (Citron), with engraved leaves, flowers and citrus buds. On top of the container is a lid with a handle shaped as a blossom-end. The lid is chained to the container. The container stands on three rounded legs, encircled with a small ring and resting on another ring, larger.
Height: approx. 15.5 cm. Good condition. Some stains and bends.
Hanukkah Lamp. [Poland, 19th/20th century?].
Back-plate is designed as a façade with openings; an arched door topped with a small window; windows, pillars holding a balcony. Above the balcony are arched windows and above them a tiled sloped roof with two chimneys, and two birds holding a vase.
Side plates are designed as lions with oil fonts on their tails. The lamp is positioned on four legs designed as scrolled winding branches with balls on the bottom. In front of the oil fonts and on the base of the side plates and the back-plate appears a bar. The front bar is attached to the lamp with bolts shaped as birds.
Height: 27.5 cm, width: approx. 23.5 cm. Good condition. Front bar is upside down.
Hanukkah Lamp. [Origin unknown, second half of 20th century].
Silver, filigree; granulation.
Back-plate made of filigree on gilt silver background; a two- door Torah Ark in the center with two windows on the sides. On top of the back plate - a hanging crown ornamented with filigree and granulation work. Filigree side plates. At the point of connection between the side plates and the back plate are filigree leaves with removable oil fonts shaped as jugs hanging on each of the leaves. Removable base with jug-shaped oil fonts. Front filigree bar. The lamp is positioned on five, fine, silver legs, bent.
Height: approx. 29 cm, width: approx. 30.5 cm. Good condition. Stains.
Exquisite memorial chandelier for a synagogue. Morocco, Tishrei 1933.
Silver (marked), cast, bent, sawn and embossed.
Intended for lighting memorial candles set inside lighting glasses, and for lighting electric light bulbs. Made of six parts:
1. Base made of 18 silver strips, bent and arranged in a goblet shape, wrapped inside a ring.
2. Star-of-David ornament, decorated with delicate saw work in vegetal and geometric motifs. Each of the six points of the star features a decoration (removable) in the shape of a flower, surmounted by a candle holder. Six chains attach this decoration to the central ring.
3. Central ring inscribed with a sawn dedication reading (in Hebrew), "For the eternal rest of Rabbi Yaakov A'atiya, who died on 1 Tishrei 5694 ". Six decorations in the shape of large flowers are screwed on to the ring. The flower decorations face sideways and downwards (inside each flower is a bulb holder). Six long chains attach the central ring to the top decoration.
4. Large upper decoration shaped as a six-armed crown and decorated with saw work in vegetal motifs.
5. Large ball, in the center of which is a horizontal strip with embossed squares.
6. Hanger shaped as a pierced crown in the shape of a flower, opening upwards.
This magnificent chandelier exemplifies the influence of European, particularly Dutch Jewish art on the Jews of Morocco's coastal cities, expressed mostly in the ritual objects of the Jews of Casablanca, Mogador, Tangier, Tetouan, Safi and other cities on the coast of the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. Many of the residents of these cities were Jews who had emigrated from Europe, or chose to live in Morocco for financial and commercial reasons, while maintaining their social and financial ties with their European colleagues and relatives.
Of particular interest in this chandelier are the large floral decorations (see above, no. 3), intended for holding incandescent light bulbs, reminiscent of the flowers appearing in hanging Sabbath lamps from Germany; the sawn crown (see above, no. 4), also reminiscent of large crowns decorating German and Dutch Sabbath lamps; the ball separating the upper decoration from the sawn crown (see above, no. 5), reminiscent of Polish, Dutch and German lamp necks which grow alternately wider and narrower; and above all - the design of the uppermost decoration (see above, no. 6), which shows the direct influence of the design of Dutch Sabbath lamps.
Length: 125 cm. Maximal width: 60 cm. Good overall condition. Some of the parts are bent or have light breaks. One of the large flowers (see above, no. 3) is slightly different from the others. The small candle holders (no. 2) are marked with hallmarks different from the other marks. Decorations may have formerly been suspended from the rings at the bottom ends of the candle holders.
1. North African Lights: Hanukkah Lamps from the Zeyde Schulmann Collection, The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, Chaya Benjamin. Jerusalem (2002), pp. 25-29.
2. The Stieglitz Collection: Masterpieces of Jewish Art, Chaya Benjamin. The Israel Museum, Jerusalem, (1987), p. 228.
Large lamp for a synagogue. [Eastern Europe, first half of 19th century].
Lamp with eight arms designed as twisted branches, each ending in a flat saucer with an oil font. At the top are eight smaller arms, also twisted and hooked, ending in goblet-shaped six-petal flowers. At the top of the lamp are a crown-shaped decoration and a cloverleaf-shaped suspension loop. All of the arms are removable and marked with letters and dots.
Length: 65 cm, width: approx. 80 cm. Good overall condition. Some broken and lacking pieces.
A large silver buckle. [Ottoman Empire, 19th century].
Parcel-gilt silver, cast, repoussé and engraved; filigree and granulation; enamel and gemstones.
A large silver buckle, possibly ceremonial, made of three parts. Ornamented with rich floral and foliate motifs, in filigree and granulation; each part is surrounded by a braided frame. At the center of each part is a Star of David made of silver strips, granulation and turquoise enamel. In the center of the Stars of David are flowers made of silver and green enamel, with red gemstones set in the center.
Approx. 34X16 cm. Good condition. Stains. Bends. Breaks. Large soldering repair on the back (two parts of the buckle are soldered together).
A large silver ornament designed as a Mezuzah case. [Unknown origin, first half of 20th century?].
Silver (marked with English stamps, 1884), cut, soldered and engraved. Gemstones. Gilt silver plaques.
A rectangular case that can be opened. Light blue and red gemstones are set on the lid. On the side panels and on the lid appear gilt plaques cut in different shapes - a Star of David engraved with the word "Zion", Tablets of the Law (three plaques) and a rectangle inscribed "Shada-I". On the base of the case appears a protruding silver piece with a hole for fixing the ornament on a wall.
Fixed on a hinge to the top of the case is a large ornamentation designed as a tied ribbon, made of cut and bent silver bands. At the point where the ribbon is bound (fixed on a hinge) appears a dome shaped as a double-edged wavy leaf. A gilt plaque shaped as the Tablets of the Law with the letters Aleph to Yod appears on the dome, surrounded by red gemstones. The ribbon is decorated with gold plaques, each one engraved with one word from "Shema" prayer (six plaques - "Shema Israel Hashem Elohenu Hashem Echad") and set with red and blue gemstones. A suspension chain is fixed to the ribbon. This item was possibly made using two 19th century English silver items.
Case: 12X3X3.5 cm. Total length (without chain): 25 cm. Good overall condition. Stains, Bends. Breaks. Wear. Lacking gemstones. Repairs.
Magnificent Torah mantle. [Germany or Czechoslovakia, late 17th / early 18th century].
Silver and fabric thread embroidery on cardboard linings; velvet; fabric ribbons; sequins.
Exquisite mantle, adorned with rich embroidery of good quality on both sides.
Silver and colorful thread embroidery on dark red velvet and on heavy cardboard linings: a large embossed Torah crown on top of the mantle, beneath it a silver thread embroidered inscription reading "Keter Torah". On the left and right are a pair of columns intertwined with grapevine branches with leaves and fruit. The columns are surmounted by two vases with rich vegetation. A "carpet" in the center of the mantle is adorned with dense and rich silver thread embroidery in vegetal and symmetric geometrical patterns; the flowers' leaves are adorned with blue velvet. On the lower part is an embroidered pattern of leaves and branches with pomegranates at their ends. The reverse of the mantle is also adorned with rich embroidery, in vegetal patterns with pomegranate-like fruit.
90X46 cm. Fair condition. Velvet is worn, torn and lacking in some places. Numerous spots of embroidery are unraveled. Tears to margins and to seams connecting the front and back sheets.
Embroidered Talith (praying shawl). [Italy, late 19th or early 20th century].
An oblong ivory silk Talith, striped in blue and white, with silk fringes and Tzitzioth. A large embroidery of bouquets of flowers and leaves (carnations and roses) appear on the four corners of the Talith. The Hebrew letters Alef and Lamed are embroidered in the center of the top margin.
210X110 cm. Fair condition. Tears, open tears. Defects, unraveling. Stains.
Pair of embroidered doilies for Shabbat candles. [Europe, early 20th century].
Pair of oval doilies made for placing under candlesticks. One is embroidered with the inscription "Or Zaru'a LaTsaddik" and the other with "U'LeYishrei Lev Simcha". Embroidered in the center of each doily are lines reminiscent of sunrays with an empty circle designed for placing under the candlesticks.
25X28 cm. Good condition. Few stains.
Passover Seder plate. [Europe, early 20th century].
Clay, printed, colored and glazed; marked on the back with manufacturer's stamp.
Five illustrations in color appear on the plate, depicting scenes related to the holiday of Pesach, surmounted by an illustration of Moses holding the Tablets of the Law.
Diameter: 29.5 cm. Good condition. Two holes for suspension on the reverse. Slight defects, slight defects to glazing at margins and on the back.
Embroidered Matzah cover. [United States?], 1902.
Cotton; embroidery with cotton threads on net.
Embroidered Matzah cover, with three pockets. Front in a dark pink shade with a spacious net sawn to it. A Hebrew blessing for Passover is embroidered on the net (dated: 1902). Surmounting the blessings are two embroidered Torah crowns.
For a similar item from the USA, see: Fabric of Jewish Life, Textiles from the Jewish Museum Collection. The Jewish Museum New York, 1977. Item no. 180.
41X41 cm. Fair-good condition. Stains. Some unraveling.
Lithograph - portrait of Rebbe Sekl Loeb Wormser, the "Ba'al Shem of Michelstadt". [France or Germany, 19th century].
A portrait depicting the "Ba'al Shem of Michelstadt" in in his youth.
Rabbi Sekl Loeb Wormser (1768-1847), descendant of the Luria Ashkenazi family, relative of the Maharshal and the Arizal. Reputedly, he was born following a revelation of Eliyahu to his father. At a young age, he was celebrated as a prodigy receiving his Torah education from his father. In Michelstadt, he opened and headed a yeshiva. Leading rabbis in his days sent him requests for prayer including the Chatam Sofer and Chidushei HaRim. On Rosh Hashanah of 1847, he prepared his disciples for his death and died the following day, on the Fast of Gedalya. In 1940, the Nazis destroyed his tombstone and in 1947 his great-grandson, Peretz Dreyfus, had it reconstructed.
Caption on the portrait: "Portrait of the great Torah scholar Rabbi Sekl Loeb Rabbi and Ba'al Shem of Michelstadt", and another French inscription: "S. Loeb - Grand Rabbin Professeur a Michelstadt.
Leaf, 22.5X28 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains and wear. Minor tears and another tear in the margin with slight damage to the frame, professionally repaired.
Two original early photographs of the town of Uman, the gravesite of R. Nachman of Breslov and a group of Breslov Chassidim (the "holy kibbutz") praying at the tomb. Uman, [early 20th century].
1. Large photograph depicting the town of Uman, the gravesite of R. Nachman and a group of Chassidim praying at the tomb. The photo is marked with handwritten numbers and a caption appears at the bottom: "Photograph of the city of Uman above the old cemetery during the days of Selichot. 1) Old synagogue. 2) The Kloiz of Breslov Chassidim. 3) Tomb of R. Nachman".
18X23 cm. pasted on a cardboard card. On the verso of the cardboard is an ink stamp (in Russian) of a Jewish-owned shop in Uman (м. г. Бердичевский [M. G. Berdichevsky]).
2. Photograph, the structure of the tombstone on the grave of R. Nachman of Breslov in Uman. Caption at bottom: "Tomb of the Rabbi R. Nachman of Breslov in Uman".
10.5X14.5 cm. pasted on a cardboard card of the photographer C. Rabinowitz (С. Рабинович) in Uman.
Two original photographs. Good-fair condition. Worming. Minor damages to cardboard.
"Holy Mir Yeshiva 1817-1932" - Group photo of the Mir Yeshiva - rabbis, avrechim (young married men) and students, with a photo of the yeshiva building. Mir, . Photographed by "Fot. B. Goldin. Mir".
At the top of the photograph are portraits of the yeshiva heads: "R. Avraham Zvi Kamai Av Beit Din and Rosh Metivta", "R. Yerucham HaLevi Leibowitz", "R. Eliezer Yehuda Finkel Rosh Metivta and dean".
23X29 cm. Framed in wooden frame 40X47 cm. Fair condition. Not examined out of frame.
Collection of photographs - rabbinic and family pictures. Vyzhnytsia, Bacău and Kolomyia (Romania), ca. 1900s-1930s.
* Four postcards with pictures of the city of Vizhnitz and collective photographs of the students of Yeshivat Beit Yisrael Ve'Damesek Eliezer. 1934. * Portrait photographs mounted on original cardboard. * Pages from a photo album (black), with mounted photographs. Photographs of the "Ahavat Yisrael" of Vizhnitz as well as other Rebbes and rabbis, (the "Imrei Chaim", R. Dermer of Bacău, R. Moinster and others). * Various passport photographs and other family photographs.
35 items, most of them are original photographs. Size varies (postcard size: 14 x 9 cm, to passport picture size: 3 x 4.5 cm). Most photographs are in good condition.
Five paintings of the town of Mir, created by Bert Lehmann. Acrylic on canvas, mounted on Masonite. Signed ("B. Lehmann"). * A house in the town, residence of the Leshinsky family in which Lehmann lived during his time in the Mir Yeshiva. The house had a removable roof for Sukkot (described on verso in English: "Sukkah roof at the house where I ate in Mir"). * House situated on the general landscape of the town of Mir. in the winter (described on verso in English: "The House I lived in Mir 1937-8"). * View of the Mir castle. * A road in the town (the back of the structure of the cheder is visible). * A Jewish water-carrier. The artist Bert Lehmann (1916-2015) was born in Sweden, studied at the Mir Yeshiva from 1937-1938. During that time, he became friendly with Shlomo Wolbe (1914-2005), later celebrated as a famous mashgiach, author of Alei Shur. Due to this friendship, Bert's father, R. Chaim Lehmann, invited R. Wolbe to come to Sweden to teach Torah studies to members of his family, which ultimately saved R. Wolbe from the horrors of the Holocaust. R. Wolbe would often recount the story of the hashgacha pratit of his salvation in the merit of the Lehmann family [R. Wolbe remained in Sweden for eight years during which he delivered Torah discourses to youth and adults, and after the war founded a Charedi school for girl survivors. He was the channel for transferring funds from donors to the Mir Yeshiva for support of the Yeshiva in Shanghai. See enclosed material]. Five paintings, 22X29.5 cm to 45X61 cm. Four are framed. Overall good condition. Slight damages.
Yemenite cheder, painting by Shoshana Damari. Oil on canvas.
Signed "Shoshana Damari" and dated 1979.
The singer Shoshana Damari (1923-2006) was born in the Dhamar region of Yemen. "Queen of Hebrew Music", in 1988 she received the Israel Prize, the highest cultural honor awarded by the State of Israel. She also enjoyed painting and sculpture and exhibited her works in Jaffa during the 1970s and at the Debel Gallery in Jerusalem in the early 1980s (solo-exhibitions as well as group exhibitions).
45X60 cm. Good condition.
Me'ah Berachot. Exquisite miniature facsimile published by Facsimile Editions. With a commentary volume in English. London, 1994. Copy 180/550.
Facsimile of the manuscript Me'ah Berachot, illuminated 18th century manuscript from Central Europe. Printed on parchment with leather binding, gilt ornamentation and silver clasps.
Facsimile: 35 leaves, 4.5X4.5 cm. Commentary volume (with leather binding): 109 pages. Both volume are placed in an original leather box. Very good condition.
The Parma Psalter. An exquisite facsimile published by Facsimile Editions. With a commentary volume in English. London, 1996. Copy 360/550.
An exact reproduction of an illuminated 13th century manuscript. Printed on parchment-like paper with gilt edges. Ancient style parchment binding with leather spine.
Facsimile:  leaves, commentary volume: 275 pp, 13.5 cm. Both volumes are housed in an original cardboard slipcase. Very good condition.
Illuminated Esther scroll, early 18th century. Elaborate facsimile on parchment published by Facsimile Editions. London, 2007. Copy 54/295. Elaborate facsimile on parchment of an illuminated Esther scroll from the German region, early 18th century. Surrounding the tiny text are delicate colorful adornments and vignettes from the story of the Book of Esther. The facsimile is rolled inside an elegant silver case (marked) in a style typical of 19th century Viennese craft. The original scroll is in the Gross collection in Israel. The facsimile is housed in a special casing. Enclosed is an English brochure and introduction, and a matching fabric case. Facsimile: 10.5 cm. Silver case: 26 cm. Outer casing: 32.5 cm. Good condition.