Hochberühmten Jüdischen Geschichtschreibers Historien und Bücher: Von alten Jüdischen Geschichten zwentzig sampt einem von seinem Leben, Flavii Josephi. Frankfurt, 1581. German. A large volume, begins with "Antiquities of the Jews" which includes twenty chapters depicting the history of the Jewish people from the creation of the world until the Great Revolt (66 CE). The second part is book V of "Wars of the Jews" recounting the destruction of Jerusalem. A separate title page for the part about Jerusalem: Egesippi, des hochberühmten fürtrefflichen christlichen Geschichtschreibers, fünff Bücher, vom jüdischen Krieg und endlicher Zerstörung der herzlichen und gewaltigen Statt Jerusalem. Numerous impressive woodcuts illustrate both parts throughout text. , 348,  leaves; 177,  leaves, volume 34 cm. Good condition. Minor worming. Wood and vellum binding with metal clasps.
Tractatus de imposturis et ceremoniis Iudaeorum nostri temporis, Conrado Husero. Basel: Pernam, . Latin.
A Christian book presenting Jewish customs and rituals in a critical and negative light. The book, bearing the pseudonym Conrad Huser, was actually written by Marcus Lombardus.
66,  pp. 21 cm. Good condition. Slightly faded title page. Stains. Rebound in cardboard.
Introductiones Apotelesmaticae In Physiognomiam, Complexiones hominum, Astrologiam naturalem, Naturas Planetarum, Joannis Ab Indagine. Printed by Lazari Zetzneri. Strassburg, 1622. Latin.
A 'natural' astrology book (by the author's definition) and other matters, by Johanne of Indagine (1467-1537), German astronomer and astrologer, member of the Carthusian Order. Included in the 1559 list of books banned by the Vatican for stating that the planets determine man's destiny. Woodcuts, drawings and charts demonstrating palm reading, astrological map analysis and physiognomic principles.
384 pp, 15 cm. Fair-good condition. Stains. Leather binding with ornate spine, worn. Ex Libris. Detached cover boards. Endpaper torn in two.
Concordantiae Bibliorum Hebraicae, by Johannis Buxtorf. Basel: Ludovici König 1632.
At the end of the book appears a table of Parshiyot. Hebrew title page: "Concordance about Daniel and Ezra" (Hebrew); the table of Parshyiot ends with a colophon: "Printed in Basel under the command of the esteemed Sir Ludwig König in his home in the year of 1630" [However, the book was actually printed two years later].
The book opens with a preface in Latin by Johannes Buxtorf, the son, who completed the concordance, based on the Meir Nativ concordance by Rabbi Yitzchak Nathan.
Tiberias Sive Commentarius Masorethicus Triplex Historicus Didacticus, Criticus, Johannis Buxtorfi P.. Basel: Johannis König, 1665. Review of the Tiberian Masorah and its history. Hebrew and Latin. ; 108 pp.
41 cm. Good condition. Stains and wear. Leather binding, back binding is lacking.
Erotematum linguae sanctae Libri duo, Johann Heinrich Hottinger. Published by Joh. Jacobi Tigury, Bodmeri (Zurich), 1647.
Composition by the theologian and philologist Johann Heinrich Hottinger, about Hebrew grammar.
, 200 pp, 15.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains and wear. Original leather binding, detached and damaged.
Tractatus de punctorum vocalium, et accentuum, in libris Veteris Testamenti Hebraicis, origine, antiquitate, & authoritate: oppositus Arcano punctationis revelato, Ludovici Cappelli, Johannis Buxtorfi Filii. Martini Wagneri Printing Press. Basel, 1658. Latin.
Jonnane Buxtorf the younger was a well-known Christian Hebraist and inherited the Hebrew Chair in the Univeristy of Basel from his father who studied the same subjects. This is a polemic book, one of several, composed after an argument with Louis Cappelli about the antiquity of niqqud.
 leaves, 437,  pp. 15 index pages are missing. 20 cm. Good-fair condition. Worming. Foxing and staining. Creases and tear to endpaper. Restored tear to title page. Vellum binding, stains.
Two books about Jewish-Christian polemics:
1. Disputa del christiano con l'ebreo di Melchior Palontrotti. Ad istanza di Pietro Pauolo Romaldi romano. Doue si proua chiaramente contra l'ebreo, che la riduttione temporale, che aspetta fù adempita nella liberatione di Babilonia [ dispute between a Christian and a Jew]. Girolamo Barberi Printing Press, Rome, 1647. Italian.
27,  (i.e. 37, ) pp, 20 cm. one leave lacking. Fair condition. Worming. Open tears. Adhesive tape. New binding.
2. Gespräch in dem Reiche der Todten über die Bibel und Talmud zwischen Dr. Luther und Raschi, [conversation in the kingdom of the dead about the Bible and the Talmud between Dr. (Martin) Luther and Rashi]. Schwabach: Johann Jacob Enderes, 1737-1738. German and some Hebrew. Frontispiece engraving of Rashi and Luther. Parts 1-2.
14; 88 pp +  engraving, 20.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains. Worming. Damaged binding. Tears to spine.
Tiberias, sive Commentarius Masorethicus triplex: historicus, didacticus criticus, ad illustrationem operis Biblici Basiliensis conscriptus, quo primùm historia Masoretharum tiberiensium, Johannis Buxtorfi P. Joh. Jacobi Deckeri Printing Press. Basel, 1665. Latin.
A book by the Christian Hebraist Johanne Buxtorf (1564-1629), one of the first Christian scholars to study Judaism. The book studies the Tiberian Masorah from three aspects, details the changes introduced by Buxtorf into the version of the Bible which he published several years earlier and justifies them in light of Masorah.
 leaves, 430 pp, 20.5 cm. Wide margins. Good condition. Foxing. Rebound.
De republyk der hebreen, of de Gemeenebest der Joden. Handelende van de bedieninge des tempels; zoo die was in de daagen van de Zaligmaaker en korts voor de verstooringe van Jerusalem, Petrus Cunaeus. Four volumes: part one, published by Wilhelm Goeree. Amsterdam, 1682. Part two and part three, published by Wilhelm Goeree. Amsterdam, 1683. Part four, published by Jan Roman. Amsterdam, 1735. Dutch.
Historia s. Petri persice conscripta, simulque multis modis contaminata. Latine reddita, & brevibus animadversionibus notate [history of Saint Peter, a composition in Persian translated into Latin with comments] by Ludovico De Dieu. Leiden (Holland): Ex Officina Elseviriana printing press, 1693. Persian and Latin.
A composition in two parts by Jerome Xavier, translated into Persian according to a request by Akbar (Mughal Emperor in India), [in 1602].
Offered here is a later edition of the second part by Ludovico De Dieu, which contains the original text in Persian with the Latin translation, page facing page.
Ludovico De Die (1590-1642), a priest and an orientalist, edited this composition, translated it and added in the margins some grammatical comments about the Persian text. Titles on title page are woodcuts in black and red ink.
Included in this edition is an additional part about the basic principles of Persian Grammar by Ludovico De Dieu. His work was the first Persian grammar book ever published in Europe.
 leaves, 144 pp, 18.5 cm. Good condition. Stains. Rebound.
Seven manifests and decrees concerning various subjects issued by German emperors for their subjects from the years 1693 to 1767. Among the decrees – one that deals with coins and features engravings of many coins in engraving plates; a manifest announcing the coronation of an emperor and a decree which concerns Frankfurt Jewry.
 leaves;  leaves, 6, VII-VIII engraving plates;  leaves;  leaves;  leaves;  leaves;  leaves, approx. 32 cm. Six manifests are bound together. Condition varies. Restored tears. Significant foxing.
Synagoga Judaica, by Johann Buxtorf. Henau: Haeredum Guilielmi Antonii, 1614. Latin.
An important book composed by the Hebraist and scholar Johann Buxtorf (1564-1629). Buxtorf accurately documented customs, prayers and way of life of Ashkenazi Jews. Although the book's tone is explicitly anti-Semitic, it is considered a milestone in the study of the Jewish religion and even Jews of the period used it often enough.
13.5 cm.  644 [should be 624],  pp. Good-fair condition. Vellum binding (of the period). Worming, creases and stains. Ownership ink stamp and inscription in pen on the inner side of front binding. Labels on spine.
Pro Hebraeis Possidentibus Stabilia. Facti et Iuris [Possession rights of Jews. Facts and Jurisdiction], a document dealing with rights of Jews. Author and printer are unknown. [Italy, 1700?]. Latin.
, 25 pp. Good-fair condition. Stains and creases. New binding with vellum spine.
Benachrichtigungen Wegen einiger die Judenschafft angehenden wichtigen Sachen, D. Joh. Christoph. Wagenseil. Published by Johann Heinichens Wittwe. Leipzig, 1701. German.
Johann Christoph Wagenseil (1633-1705) was a German theologian and Hebraist who was deeply involved with the question of Jews and Judaism. He gathered proof about the negative attitude of Judaism towards Christianity and asked the authorities to restrain Jews from mocking Jesus, but was opposed to forcible conversion to Christianity and believed conversion should be voluntary.
220 pp, 18 cm. Fair condition. Foxing. Uneven leaf cutting. Wear to edges of leaves. New binding.
Considerazioni di Biagio Garofalo intorno alla poesia degli Ebrei e dei Greci, Biagio Garofalo, Francesco Gonzaga printing press, 1712. Italian. 2 parts bound together.
Composition analyzing the Greek poetry and the Jewish poetry using themes from Spinoza.
XVI, 61, , 63,  pp, 23 cm, good-fair condition. Stains, slight damage to binding, vellum binding.
* R. Salomonis Jarchi, Commentarius Hebraicus in Pentateuchum Mosis, Joh. Friederico Breithaupto. Published by Typis Reyherianis. Gotha, 1710.
* R. Salomonis Jarchi Commentarius hebraicus, Rash"i dicti, Commentarius Hebraicus in Prophetas Maiores et minores, ut et in Hiobum et Psalmos, Joh. Friederico Breithaupto. Published by Typis Reyherianis. Gotha, 1713.
Latin. Two volumes out of three.
Rashi's commentary on the Torah, first and last prophets, psalms and Job, translated into Latin. This is the first Latin translation of Rashi's commentary. Two volumes. Author's engraved portrait appears at the beginning of volume I. Vellum binding.
1st volume:  leaves, 1532,  pp,  engraved plate. 2nd volume:  leaves, 1027 + 166 + 299,  pp, 20.5 cm. Fair condition. Age-related stains, foxing. Worming. Some tears at margins of leaves.
"Wahreste und neueste Abbildung des türckischen Hofes" [pictures from the Turkish Sultan Court], by Charles de Ferriol. 54 copper engravings by Johann Christoph Weigel. Nuremberg: Christoph Weigel, 1721. German. A book written following the mission of the French Ambassador Charles de Ferriol (1652-1722) to Turkey, surveying tens of personalities accompanied by engravings and commentaries. 54 engravings, titled and signed C."Weigel exe". , 103 pp + 52 engraving plates and  folding engraving plates. One engraving is most probably lacking. Fair-good condition. Slight creases and tears. Some engravings are detached. Inscription with crayon on title page. Ex Libris on inner front cover and ownership ink stamps on margins of engravings. Perforation stamp on title page. Old and worn binding.
Three compositions accompanied by engravings. Amsterdam, 1726-1732:
* Naaukeurige Beschryving Der Uitwendige Godtsdienst-Pflichten, Tempel-Zeden En Gewoontens Van Alle Volkeren Der Waereldt, Bernard Picard [Religious duties, manners and customs of all the nations of the world]. Joint publication: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague: Uytwerf Beman Alberts, 1729. Dutch.
The study was originally written in French; this is the fourth-fifth volume out of the Dutch translation accompanied by 58 engraving plates and a dozen folding plates by French master engraver Bernard Picart.
 leaf, 424,  pp;  leaves, 368 pp, 40 cm.
* Vervolg op Flavius Josephus; of algemene historie der joodsche naatsie, behelzende ene uitvoerige beschryving van derzelver regerings-vorm, godtsdienst, gezinten en plegtigheden…, Jakob Basnage. Amsterdam, 1726-1727. Dutch.
Writings of Josephus Flavius, edition in two volumes with several engravings. A large engraving and two portraits of Jakob Basnage preceding the title page of the first volume.  leaves, 7+658 pp +  engraving plates;  leaves, 659-1940 pp, 39.5 cm.
* Alle de werken van Flavius Josephus, behelzende twintig boeken van de Joodsche oudheden, het verhaal van zyn eygen leeven, de histori van den oorlóg der Jooden tegen de Romeynen, de twee boeken tegen Apion, en de beschryvinge van den marteldoodt der Machabeen. Waarby komt het gezantschap van Philo aan den keyzer Kaligula. Amsterdam: Marten Schagen, 1732. Dutch.
A large volume compiling two parts with some of Josephus Flavius writings: "Antiquities of the Jews", "Wars of the Jews" and "Against Apion" ("Antiquities of the Jewish People"). Accompanied by numerous engravings throughout the book and nine engraving plates, among them five double engraving plates of Map of Eretz Israel and the vicinity, the Temple, Jerusalem and the Destruction of the Temple.
, 790, , 112,  pp +  engraving plates and  folding plates, 39.5 cm.
4 books. Good overall condition. Original leather bindings.
D. Michaelis Frider. Lochneri, Furthensis, De reservato imperatoris exigendi aurum coronarium a Judaeis etiam in aliorum statuum imperii terris degentibus = Von der Juden Cronen-Steuer oder güldnen Opffer-Pfennig, Michael Friedrich Lochner. Published by Impensis Stephani Grebneri, Altdorf, 1750. Latin.
The composition concerns the poll tax imposed by German emperors on their Jewish subjects.
46 pp, 20.5 cm. Good condition. Dark paper. Some wear to margins of first leaves. Rebound.
Het oude en Niewe Verbond aen een geschakelt in de geschiedenissen der Joden en der aengrenzende volkeren, sedert het verval der koningryken van Israel en Juda tot de komst van Jezus Kristus [History of Jews as is manifest in the Bible and in the New Testament from the days of King Solomon until the appearance of Christianity]. By Humphrey Prideaux. Published by Isaak Tirion, Amsterdam, 1731. Dutch. Second edition.
With eight engraved plates: frontispiece engraving, six folding maps and additional folding plate with a plan of the Temple. Numerous initials. Two additional engravings on the title page and within the text.
 leaves, xxii, 1552 columns,  leaves +  engraving plate,  folding engraving plates, 40 cm. Fair condition. Stains. Creases. Original leather binding with tears and damage.
Naaukeurige Beschryving Der Uitwendige Godtsdienst-Pflichten, Kerk-Zeden En Gewoontens Van Alle Volkeren Der Waereldt, Bernard Picard. Joint publication by: Uytwerf Beman Alberts, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, 1738. Dutch.
The original monograph was written in French. This is the sixth volume of the Dutch edition which was printed in six volumes, with 38 engraving plates by the French engraver Bernard Picart. Chapter discussing Judaism and Jews in the end.
, 340,  pp; , 317,  pp +  engraved plates, 40 cm. Fair condition. Stains. Original leather binding, tears and damage.
Tractatus de juribus Judaeorum, Von Recht der Juden by Johann Jodicus Beck. Nuremberg: Johann Georg Lochner, 1741. German.
A comprehensive study concerning laws and rights of Jews in Germany: criminal law, contracts, civil laws, inheritance laws and more. This composition, refering to both the German legislative system and to the Halachic laws, was written so as to serve as a guide for readers, and encourage tolerance towards the Jewish community through teaching and explaining the Halachic laws.
A fine frontispiece engraving, divided into four scenes depicting a wedding, writing a will, commerce and execution by hanging.  engraving-plate; , 599 pp, 20 cm. Good condition. Stains, foxing. Original vellum binding, damage.
Kurzer Auszug aus denen Selichoth oder Judischen Bus-Gebeten, d.i. Sammlung von denen Lasterungen, die sich in diesen Gebeten befinden, und wodurch die Ehre Jesu Christi verachtet, und der Christliche Glaube verspottet wird, aus einem gerechten Eifer fur die Ehre Jesu Christi, und aus Eherbietung fur die christliche Religion, Christian Wilhelm Christlieb. Publisher not indicated. Place of publishing not indicated. 1745. German.
Anti-Semitic composition meant to prove how Jews curse Jesus and his believers in their prayers and how they bypass the restrictions of censorship through use of code words such as "Akum" and "Edom". The composition surveys the Selichot and their meaning in short and cites some passages.
 leaves, 20 cm. Good condition. Foxing. Rebound.
Jüdische Geschichte von der Erschaffung der Welt bis auf gegenwärtige Zeiten. Aus dem Dänischen ins Deutsche übersetzt von Georg August Detharding [Jewish history from the creation to the present day] / Jüdische Geschichte von der unumschränkten Regierung der Makkabäer, bis auf gegenwärtige Zeiten [Jewish history from the days of the Maccabees until the current day], by Herrn Ludwig Holberg. Published by Gebrüder Korte, Altona and Flensburg, 1747. German. Two volumes.
Scholarly work by Danish author and historian Ludwig Holberg, about Jewish history from the creation of the world until the author's days. With engravings on title pages of both parts, as well as a frontispiece engraved portrait of the author, in the first part. Translated from Danish into German by Georg August Detharding.
Two volumes. Volume 1:  engraving-plate,  leaves, 714 pp. Volume 2:  leaves, 719 pp, 22 cm. Good condition. Stains. Original binding with leather spine. Damage to binding and to spine. Front cover board detached.
Arte di conoscere l'età de' codici Latini, e Italiani, Giovanni Crisostomo Trombelli. Bologna: Girolamo Corciolani, ed Eredi Colli a S. Tommaso d' Aquino, 1756.
A composition by the scholar Giovanni Crisostomo Trombelli, about the historic development and the Paleography of Latin manuscripts. Examples and two plate-sheets at the end of the book. Some of the characters on the title page are printed in red ink.
Xii, 116 pp, 2 folding plates. 24.5 cm. Fair-good condition. Stains. Damp stains throughout the book. Several detached leaves. Binding with ancient leather spine, damaged and partly detached. Lack to spine.
Mischnah oder Der Text des Talmuds, Mishnayot. Translation into German and commentary by Johann Jacob Rabe. Two volumes. Onolzbach, 1760-1763.
Volume A: Zera'im, Moed, Nashim. 6 leaves, 268 pp, 8 leaves, 294 pp, 3 leaves, 250 pp, 2 leaves.
Volume B: Nezikin, Kodashim, Taharot. 4 leaves, 306 pp, 4 leaves, 294 pp, 3 leaves, 420 pp.
In tractate Eduyot in the second volume appears an engraved map of Jerusalem.
2 volumes, 24.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Wear, worming. Stains. Several detached leaves. Damage to bindings.
Triturae et Fulloniae Antiquitates, Christiani Schoetgenii. Leipzig: Ioh. Mich. Lud. Teubneri, 1763. Latin and some Hebrew.
Monograph about threshing and washing in ancient times by the German theologian and Hebraist, Johann Christian Schöttgen (1678-1751). References from the bible cited in Hebrew. Accompanied by engravings depicting threshing and the Saponaria plant.
 leaves, 158 pp,  leaves +  engraving plates, three of which are folding, 16 cm. Good condition. Tear to title page. Restored tear in unmatching color to second title page. Inscriptions in pencil, late paper binding. Partly torn spine.
Chronologia Sacra Oder Kurzer Auszug aus der ganzen Heiligen Schrift des Alten und Neuen Testaments: nach der Zeitrechnung, wie sich alles in einem Zeitverlaufe von 4071 Jahren, das ist: von Erschaffung der Welt an bis auf Christi Jesu Tod, und von dessen Himmelfahrt bis zu dem Tod beeder heiligen Apostel Petrus und Paulus zugetragen, Gervasio Bulfer. Konstanz: Jakob Friedrich Bez, 1771.
A composition in German by Gervasio Bulfer about Christian chronology according to the Bible and the New Testament. Most of the leaves in the books are arranged in two columns from top of the leaf to the bottom with the count of years according to different calendars and the events which occurred in each year.
 leaves, 307,  pp,  leaves +  folding plates. 21.5 cm. Good condition. Stains. Worming to title page and to several additional ones. Original leather binding.
Not listed in NLI records.
Lob der narrheit, Erasmus von Rotterdam. Published by Johann Jacob Thurneysen, jünger. Basel, 1780. German.
German translation of the satiric composition "In Praise of Folly" by Desiderius Erasmus of Rotterdam, in which he criticizes the Catholic Church, with eighty-three woodcuts and a frontispiece engraving of Erasmus's portrait after a painting by Hans Holbein.
 engraved plate,  leaves, 396 pp, 19 cm. Good condition. Stains and foxing. Damp stains. Rebound.
De Hebraicae typographiae origine ac primitiis seu antiquis ac rarissimis Hebraicorum librorum editionibus saeculi XV disquisitio historico-critica, Giovanni Bernardo De Rossi. Erlangen: Schleich, 1778. Latin. Second edition.
First monograph written on Hebrew incunabula. The author, Giovanni Bernardo De Rossi (1742-1831), was an Italian Hebraist and a professor of Oriental languages at the University of Parma. The book was first published in Parma in 1776. This is its second edition, published two years later in Germany.
141 pp., 17 cm. Good condition. New binding.
1. Franc. Perezii Bayerii, De nvmis hebraeo-samaritanis.
2. Franc. Perezii Bayerii Numorum hebraeo-samaritanorum vindiciae. Valencia: Benedicti Monfort / Officina Monfortiana, 1781, 1790. Latin.
Two-volume book by Francisco Pérez Bayer, eighteenth-century Spanish philologist, jurist and writer, on Samaritan-Hebrew coins. Engraved plates and engravings in-text. Red gilt-tooled leather bindings with 1st baronet Sir Richard Borough's coat-of-arms.
1st volume:  leaves, 245, XXI, 12 pp.+  plates. 2nd volume:  leaves, 210, XXIV, 10 pp. +  plates, 29 cm. Good condition. Wear to bindings and foxing.
Zerstreute Aufsätze, Herrn Professor Kant. Frankfurt and Leipzig, 1793. German. First edition.
Anthology of essays by philosopher Emnauel Kant.
 leaves, 220 pp, 17 cm. Good condition. Worn edges to binding. Torn spine.
Die Hebräerin am Putztische und Als Braut, A. Th. Hartmann. Amsterdam: Kunst- und Industrie Comptoir, 1809. German. Volume two.
"The Jewish Woman at the Toilet-table, and as Bride", a monograph about customs of Jewish women and Jewish brides, by the German orientalist and theologian Anton Theodor Hartmann. Accompanied by seven engravings depicting women's dresses and jewelry from the east.
 leaves, 538 pp,  leaf, +  engraving plates, numbered 2 to 8, 15.5 cm. Good condition. Foxing. Leather spine and corners to binding.
Two books about Jewish history and Jews in France, Spain and Italy. French.
1. Three books bound together:
* État des juifs en France, en Espagne et en Italie, depuis le commencement du cinquième siècle de l'ère vulgaire jusqu'a la fin du seizième, sous les divers rapports du droit civil, du commerce et de la littérature. [Jews in France, Spain and Italy, since the 5th century until the end of the 16th century, study of various subjects, civil rights, commerce and literature], by Charles-Joseph Bail. Paris: Alexis Aymery, 1823.
xi, , 203 pp,  leaf.
* Histoire des Juifs depuis la Destruction de Jerusalem jusqu'a ce Jour, Charles Malo. Paris: Leroux, 1826. French.
viii, 548 pp.
* -Mémoires sur l'état des Israélites dédiés et présentés a leurs Majestés Impériales et Royales, réunies au Congrès d'Aix-la-Chapelle, [Bertram Lavigne]. Paris: De l'Imprimérie de Firmin Didot, 1819.
78,  pp.
20 cm. Good condition. Stains. damage to binding.
2. Les Juifs en France, en Italie et en Espagne, recherches sur leur état depuis leur dispersion jusqu'à nos jours sous le rapport de la législation, de la littérature et du commerce [Jews in France, Spain and Italy since their dispersion until our days, study of legislations, literature and commerce]. By [Jassuda] Bédarride. Paris: Michel Lévy frères, 1867. Bound with dust jacket, dated 1860.
, viii, 612,  pp, 22 cm. Good condition. Stains. New binding.
Der Koran oder, Das Gesetz der Moslemen durch Muhammed den sohn Abdallahs, German translation of the Quran by Samuel Friedrich Gunther. Halle, 1828.
xcvi, 784 pp +  folding plate, 21 cm. Good condition.
Gallerie der ausgezeichnetsten Israeliten aller Jahrhunderte, by Eugen Grafen Breza and Richard Otto Spazier. Stuttgart: Fr. Brodhag'sche Buchhandlung. 1835.
Biographies of famous Jews, including Moses Mendelssohn, Rabbi Yehonatan Eibeschitz, Spinoza, Heinrich Heine. Eleven portrait-plates of the different personalities such as Rabbi Jonathan Eibeschitz, Spinoza, and Rehoboam King of Juda.
126 pp +  portrait-plates. 28 cm. Good condition. Wear. Stains.
Die Emancipation der Juden ein Nachtrag zu meiner Schrift, Einsetzung der Bekenner des jüdischen Glaubens in die Rechte der Menschheit [emancipation of Jews, composition written as a supplement to a previous book by the author], by E.C. von Gortz, Quedlinburg – Leipzig: Gottfr. Basse, 1836.
Vi, , 88 pp. 20 cm. Good condition. Stains. Some dark pages. Rebound.
Report on the Experiment on Gunpowder Made at Washington Arsenal in 1843 and 1844, Captain Alfred Mordecai. Published by J. and G. S. Gideon.
Military report on experiments with gunpowder at the Washington arsenal. Alfred Mordechai was a Jewish officer in the US army, commander of the central military arms arsenal in Washington and of the first to systematically and scientifically develop arms in the US army. Mordechai, who was born in North Carolina, retired from the army when the Civil War broke out.
viii, 328 pp, IV plates with technical drawings, two out of which are double. Good condition, foxing. Worn corners to binding, spine detached on one side and partly missing.
Six books by Rabbi Shimshon Raphael Hirsch, some are early editions.
* Jüdische Anmerkungen zu den Bemerkungen eines Protestanten über die Confession der 22 Bremischen Pastoren. Published by Gerhard Stalling. Oldenburg, 1841. German.
* Zweite Mittheilungen aus einem Briefwechsel über die Neueste Jüdische Literatur. Published by Johann Friedrich Hammerich. Altona, 1844. German.
* Offener Brief an Se. Ehrwürden Herrn Distrikts-Rabbiner S. B. Bamberger in Würzburg. Published by S. Kauffmann. Frankfurt, 1877. German.
* Über die Beziehung des Talmuds zum Judenthum und zu der sozialen Stellung seiner Bekenner. Published by J. Kauffmann. Frankfurt, 1884. German.
* Der Jüdische Sabbath. Published by S. Kauffmann. Frankfurt, 1908. German.
* Unsere Aufgabe. Published by J. Kauffmann. Frankfurt, . German.
Size and condition vary.
1. Der austritt aus der gemeinde, by Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch. Frankfurt am Main, 1876. German.
First edition of the pamphlet in which Rabbi Hirsch published his well-known concept supporting separation between orthodox and reform congregations. Rabbi Bamberger opposed decisively Hirsch's attitude and instructed his disciples to adhere to the general congregations as long as the religious needs of the orthodox are answered.
19 pp. fair-good condition. Loose leaves.
2. Two publications by Rabbi Yitzhak Dov Bamberger, written in response to Rabbi Hirsch's stance regarding separation of the Orthodox community from the Reform community. Rabbi Bamberger was a firm oppose of Rabbi Hirsch's approach and instructed his followers to remain members of the general communities as long as they are given freedom of religion.
* Offener Brief an Sr. Ehrwürden Herrn Distrikts-Rabbiner S.B. Bamberger in Würzburg, by Rabbi Yitzchak Dov Bamberger. Frankfurt am Main, 1877. German.
1-22, 27-28 leaves. 4 leaves are lacking (23-26). Fair condition. Detached leaves. Tears not affecting text. Wear.
* Offene Antwort des Distrikts-Rabbiners Seeligmann Baer Bamberger, by Rabbi Yitzchak Dov Bamberger. Wuerzburg, 1877. German.
27 leaves. Fair-poor condition. Detached leaves. Tears affecting text. Wear.
Atzat Shalom, Der Rath des Heils: eine Mitgabe für das ganze Leben an den israelitischen Confirmanden (Bar Mizwah) und die israelitische oder beim Anstritt and ser Schule, Dr. Ludwig Philippson. Published by Baumgärtner. Leipzig, 1867. German. Dr. Ludwig Philippson was a reform rabbi, founder and editor of a Jewish paper, translator of the Bible into German and author of religious philosophic books and historic novels. This book is a guide book in German for a Bar-Mitzvah boy.  leaves, 303 [1[ pp. 18.5 cm. Good condition. Title with color illustration in lithographic printing and a frontispiece engraving. Foxing. Gilt edges. Original binding, with gilded decorations. Slight wear to binding.
"Sefer Yetzirah": a book on creation, or, The Jewish Metaphysics of Remote Antiquity, Rev. Dr. Isidor Kalisch. New-York: L.H. Frank & Co., 1877. Hebrew and English. Bound with: A sketch of the Talmud: the world renowned collection of Jewish traditions, Rev. Dr. Isidor Kalisch. New-York: L.H. Frank & Co., 1877. English. Two books by Rev. Dr. Isidor Kalisch: Sefer Yetzirah is the first Jewish book to deal with Metaphysics (Torat HaSod). Attributed to Abraham the Patriarch and discussing the secrets of creation. This is the first English translation, by the reform rabbi Dr. Isidor Kalisch. Bound with the book "A Sketch of the Talmud", also by Dr. Isidor Kalisch – short composition about Talmud and its importance, with passages from the Talmud. 57 pp; 38 pp, 19 cm. Good condition. Stains, age-stains. Detached end papers. Gilt edges. Original binding with some wear.
Facsimiles of Hebrew manuscripts in the Bodleian Library, illustrating the various forms of rabbinical characters, with transcription by Adolf Neubauer. Printed by Clarendon, Oxford, 1886.
Portfolio with 40 facsimile plates of Hebrew manuscripts in the Bodleian Library with an introduction and 40 transcription plates by Adolf (Abraham) Neubauer (1831-1907), orientalist, bibliographer and librarian, served as deputy manager of the Bodleian Library.
 leaves + [XL] facsimile plates, [XL] transcription plates, 51X38 cm. Good-fair condition. Foxing. Wear at margins of plates. Damage to portfolio.
Die hebraeischen Uebersetzungen des Mittelalters und die Juden als Dolmetscher. Ein Beitrag zur Literaturgeschichte des Mittelalters, meist nach handschriftlichen Quellen, Moritz Steinschneider. Berlin: Kommissionsverlag des Bibliographischen Bureaus, 1893.
Limited edition of 300 copies.
Comprehensive monograph by bibliographer Moritz Steinschneider about Hebrew translations in the middle Ages and about Jews as translators.
xxxiv, 1077 leaves. 25 cm. Good condition. Slight staining. Inscriptions on endpaper and on title page. Original binding.
Collection of essays and publications concerning Assyriology and "Babel and the Bible". [Europe], 1894-1905. A volume with about 11 essays and publications bound together. Some were delivered as lectures and were printed afterwards. The essays concern assyriology and the culture of Babel and the Bible. Most essays refer to the series of publications by Assyriology scholar Friedrich Delitzsch – "Babel and the Bible", in which he claimed that the source of the Book of Genesis is found in ancient Babylonian myths. These publications led to polemic reactions on the part of scholars, rabbis and theologians. Among the essays is one composed by Delitzsch himself. 11 essays bound together. Average size: 23 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains and wear. Damage to binding.
Hebrew Illuminated Bibles of the IXth and Xth Centuries: (Codices or. Gaster, nos. 150 and 151); and a Samaritan scroll of the law of the XIth century (codex or. Gaster, no. 350). Together with eight plates of facsimiles of these manuscripts and of fragments from the Geniza in Egypt, published for the first time, M. Gaster. Published by Harisson and Sons, London, 1901. English.
The book focuses on the historic and artistic aspects of illuminated manuscripts of the bible from the ninth and tenth centuries and fragments from the Cairo Genizah. Eight color facsimiles of illuminated manuscripts of the bible and of a Samaritan bible appear at the end of the book.
52 pp, VIII facsimiles (two double-page facsimiles), 35.5 cm. Wide margins. Good condition. Foxing and age-related stains. Stained binding, spine slightly unraveled.
Répertoire des articles relatifs à l'histoire et à la littérature juives, parus. Published by P. Geuthner. Paris, 1914-1923.
A bibliography book with a detailed record of Hebrew publications between the years 1665 until 1900.
 leaf, VI, 539 pp, 25 cm. Very good condition. Wear to lower edges of leaves. One partly unopened sheet.
Encyclopaedia Judaica, das Judentum in Geschichte und Gegenwart, Jackob Klatzkin, Ismar Elbogen. Berlin: Eschkol, [1928-1934]. German.
Many photographs and illustrations, some in color, accompany the texts.
10 volumes. 29 cm. Good condition. Damage to some bindings and spines.
Psalmen und Gebete, in der ubersetzung aus dem hebraischen, Toby Cohn. Publisher not indicated. [Germany], 1930. German and some Hebrew.
 leaves, 24 cm. Good condition. Stains. Cloth covered binding.
Die Schrift, 12 volumes out of the German translation of the Bible by Martin Buber and Franz Rosenzweig. Schocken Press, Berlin, [1928-1937?].
* 11 separate volumes: Bereshit, Shmot, VaYikra, Bamidbar, Devarim, Yehoshua, Shoftim, Shmuel, Melachin, Tehilim, Mishlei.
* Volume containing: Nevi'im Achronim (Yesha'ayahu, Yirmiyahu, Yehezkel) and Trei Assar (Hoshea, Yoel, Amos, Ovadia, Yona, Micha, Nachum, Havakuk, Tzefania, Hagai, Zecharia and Malachi). Ink stamp "Misifrei Keren Schocken".
12 books. 19.5 cm. Good overall condition. Some stains.
Aus der praxis einer wiener offizin, zwölf ausgewählte schriftgarmituren der Buchdruckerei Jahoda & Siegel in ihrer Anwendung. Vienna, . German. Promotional booklet of Jewish printers Jahoda & Siegel, with many typographic samples.
 leaves, 24 cm. Good condition. Stains. Original binding slightly damaged, restored tears to front.
Collection of booklets published by Schocken, about Jewish literature and holidays, among them:
* Aus midrasch und agada, part I and part II – two booklets, by Micha Yosef Berdichevsky. Berlin, 1934.
* Der Freiheitskampf der Makkabäer, by Felix Grajew. Berlin, 1934.
* Liberales Judentum, by Max Dienemann. Berlin, 1935.
* Berthold Auerbach: eine Auswahl aus seinen Schriften, by Elias Gut. Berlin, 1935.
* Chanukkah, ein Quellenheft, by Eliezer Hermann. Berlin, 1937.
* Sukkot und Simchat Tora, by Eliezer Hermann. Berlin, 1937.
12 booklets. Size varies. Booklets were not thoroughly examined – sold AS IS.
Mishna Arucha. Amsterdam, October 1939.
"Mishnah, vowelized, translated into Dutch, with commentaries by Shimon Hemelburg". Part II, Seder Mo'ed. Printed in pamphlets format. Upon the outbreak of World War II, printing of the edition was ceased and eventually only the second part was published. In 1990 two additional parts were printed, published by NIK – (Nederlands- Israelietisch Kerkgenootschap) - Jewish Community in Amsterdam (also translated into Dutch with commentary by Hemelburg(.
Margins bear glosses in pencil, in Hebrew and Dutch. Includes two printed leaves in Dutch regarding subscribers' payments, February and April 1938.
VII, 621,  pp. Good condition. Not bound, contained in dismantled cardboard folder.
Humanistisches Judentum, Erbe und Aufgabe, G. H.-Shikmoni. Private edition, by C. Ullman. Haifa, 1948. Huamanistic Judaism, essay by philosopher Georg Hertz-Shikmoni. Introduction by Albert Einstein. Private edition, stenciled.  leaves, 25 pp, 32 cm. Fair-good condition. Open tears to corners of binding. Spine partly detached.
The Odd-Fellows' offering, for 1850, by fraternity's members, New-York: Edward Walker, 1850. Annual publication for the year 1850 with various literary writings by the members of The Odd Fellows fraternity. Some writings and pictures refer to biblical verses and episodes such as the Parting of the Red Sea and Jewish subjects such as the Shabbath. The book is accompanied by prints and a special title page in color lithographic printing. 298 pp,  plates including a color lithograph title page. Gilt edges. 21.5 cm. Good condition. Stains, foxing. Original binding with gilded decorations. Damage and wear to binding.
1. Erich Mendelssohn, Das Gesamtschaffen des Architekten. Skizzen. Entwurfe. Bauten Berlin: Rudolf Mosse, 1930.
Semi-autobiographic work: "Entire work of architect Erich Mendelsohn. Sketches, plans and buildings", with photographs and sketches of his works.
251,  pp, 24 cm. Good-fair condition. Worming. Stains. Binding slightly loose.
2. Eric Mendelsohn, 1887-1953. No publisher indicated. USA, 1955.
Portfolio with 32 print-plates, artistic sketches of Erich Mendelsohn's works. Description and date printed on verso. Copy no. 175/500.
 plates, 38 cm. good condition. Worn cover, open tears.
Collection of books and booklets in German, printed in Eretz Israel, mostly from the 1940s-50s.
* Mädchen auf der Couch, Friedlander Ali, illustrations by Ina Blass, Tel-Aviv, 1947.
* Schädelbruch: eine metaphysiologische Entwicklung in 12 Stationen Vogel Manfred, junge dichtung. Jerusalem, 1943.
* die anti-nibelungen 8 europa-visionen, Vogel Manfred, junge dichtung. Jerusalem, 1945.
* Else lasker-schuler, Vogel Manfred. Refta, Tel-Aviv, 1945.
* Der vertraümte Tag; Gedichte, Levy Walter, Jerusalem, 1941. Signed by the author.
* Die ausrottung der juden im besetzeten Holland, Harari Jacob. Irgon olei merkas Europa, Tel-Aviv, 1944.
* Der logische positivismus und das existenzproblem der höheren ideen, Siman Baruch, Tel-Aviv, 1950.
* Lieder der talita, Hyrkanos Devora. Jerusalem: Tarshish, 1956.
* Gedichte, Isaak Leo Simson, Tel-Aviv, 1964.
* Gedichte, Less Berta. Jerusalem, 1941.
* Wahre begebenheiten aus dem leben der grossen israels, Rabbiner Dr. Guttmann T. [Theodor]. awir Jakob, Jerusalem, 1955.
* Das Mašal-Gleichnis in tannaitischer Zeit, Rabbiner DR. Guttmann T. [Theodor], author's draft of the book.
* Mit schoenhit befleckt zehn gedichte, Vrenski Fjodor. Jerusalem, 1940.
Numbered copy 87/100, signed.
* Mit schoenhit befleckt zehn gedichte, Vrenski Fjodor. Author's draft of the book, corrections in pencil.
4 books and booklets. Size and condition vary. Good-fair overall condition, torn cover to one booklet.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Seven books and composition concerning various aspects of Jewish life in Austria and in the Austro-Hungarian empire in the second half of the 19th century:
* Die Juden und die Judenstadt in Wien, Fragmente, Realis. Vienna, 1846. German. Foxing.
* Die göttliche Offenbarung des 18-ten Februar's: feierlicher Gottesdienst, aus Anlass der glücklichen Rettung seiner geheiligten Majestät des Kaisers und Königs Franz Josephs des Ersten, Leopold Low. Szegedin (Hungary): J. J. Grünn, 1853. German.
* Inschriften des alten jüdischen Friedhofes in Wien, Ludwig August Frankl, Vienna, 1855. Most of the book is in Hebrew, part in German. Non-consecutive pagination, one leaf probably lacking.
* Vom ersten bis zum zweiten Tempel. Geschichte der Israelitischen Cultusgemeinde in Wien (1820-1860), Gerson Wolf. Vienna: Wilhelm Braumuller, 1861. German.
* Shir Chnukat HaBeyit……… Meʼir Ḳohn Bisṭriṭts. Vienna, 1870. Short pamphlet in honor of a house warming.
* Die jüdischen Friedhöfe und die "Chewra Kadischa" (fromme Bruderschaft) in Wien, Gerson Wolf. Vienna: Alfred Holder, 1879. German.
* Jüdische lehre und jüdisches leben: mit besonderer Beziehung auf die Juden in Oesterreich und auf die Pflichten gegen Vaterland und Mitmenschen, Joseph Ritter von Wertheimer. Vienna: A. Hölder, 1883. German.
7 books and booklets. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
Seven books and booklets about incunabula and early prints:
* Les incunables orientaux et les impressions orientales au commencement du 16e. siècle, Moise Schwab. Paris: L. Techener, 1883. French.
* Dei Soncino, celebri tipografi italiani nei secoli XV XVI con elenco delle opera da essi date alla luce, Moise Soave. Venice: Gaetano Longo, 1878. Italian.
* Un incunabolo ebraico spagnuolo del 1476 nella Biblioteca capitolare di Verona, Isaiah Sonne, Biblioteca capitolare di Verona. Glorence: Bibliofilia, 1937. Printout. Dedication by the author Yesha'ayahu Sonne to Joseph Klausner. Italian.
* Hebrew incunables; a collection of books printed in the fifteenth century in Italy, Spain, Portugal and Turkey, Catalogue No 80. New-York: D. Frankel & Sons, . English.
* Incunables about Jews and Judaism, A. Freimann, Reprinted from Essays presented to J.H. Hertz, London, 1943 [no printing location], [1943?]. English.
* Hebrew incunabula and early Hebrew printers: (paper given by Jacob M. Lowy at the Institute of Judaica at the Shaar Hashomayim Congregation, Montreal, held in November 1965). [Montreal], . English.
* Hebrew incunabula in public collections - a first international census, A. K. Offenberg, C. Moed-Van Walraven. Nieuwkoop (Holland): De Graaf, 1990. English.
7 books and booklets. Size and condition vary.
Collection of books and booklets in German about bibliography, periodicals and general research. Among the books:
* Die neuerworben handschriftlichen hebräischen Werke der k.k. Hofbibliothek zu Wien: beschreiben sammt Ergänzungen zum Krafft'schen Catalog, J. Goldenthal. Vienna: Wilhelm Braumuller, 1851.
* Albert Altjüdische Denkmäler aus der Krim, Mitgetheilt von Abraham Firkowitsch Harkavy (1839-1872). St. Petersburg: Imps. De l'Acad, 1876.
* Ch. D. Lippe's bibliographisches lexicon der gesammten juedischen und Theologisch-Rabbinischen Literatur der Gegenwart: mit Einschluss der Schriften ueber Juden und Judentum. Vienna: Selbstverlag, 1899. A Hebrew title page was added: "a collection which mentions a list…of all the books… published…" (Hebrew).
* Katalog der Salo Cohn'schen schenkungen, Bernhard Wachstein. Vienna: Gilhofer & Ranschburg, 1911. Facing the title page additional title page in Hebrew: " …list of books bought by R' Shlomo ben Menachem… from the estate of …Duber Wachstein."
* Die hebräische presse; werdegang und entwicklungstendenzen, Josef Lin. Berlin: Jalkut g.m.b.h., 1928.
* Das jüdische Buch im dritten Reich, Volker Dahm. Frankfurt am Main: Buchhändler- Vereinigung, 1979-1981. Two volumes.
About 26 books and booklets.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
Four books and catalogues about outstanding book bindings. Numerous pictures and photographs of book bindings appear in all of the books:
* Leben und Werk Jakob Krauses, im Auftrage des Heimatwerkes Sachsen, Ilse Schunke. Leipzig: Insel Verlag, .
* Kurt Londenberg Bucheinbände, Kurt Londenberg, Hans Adolf Halbey. [Offenbach am Main]: Klingspor-Museum Offenbach, 1965.
* London book binders 1780-1840, Charles Ramsden. London: B.T. Batsford, 1956.
* Moderne künstlerische Handeinbände aus der Werkstätte von Hübel & Denck. Leipzig: Hübel & Denck, 1914. Copy out of an edition of 1100 copies. Fine catalogue published by Hübel & Denck with mounted photographs of books published by this publishing house in bibliophilic editions and bound with special bindings.
4 books. Size and condition vary.
Collection of books about the beginning of printing, German and French.
* Die Bücher-Ornamentik der Renaissance: eine Auswahl stylvoller Titeleinfassungen, Initialen, Leisten, Vignetten und Druckerzeichen hervorragender Italienischer, Deutscher u. Französischer Officinen aus der Zeit der Fruhrenaissance. Nach der eigenen Sammlung Herausgegeben und Erlautert, A. F. Butch. Published by G. Hirtz. Leipzig, 1878. German.
* Das erste gedruckte Buch Gutenbergs in deutscher Sprache, Johs. Neuhaus. Published by Simon Bernsteens Verlag. Berllin, 1902. German.
* Die illustrierten Historienbücher des 15. Jahrhunderts: ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des Formschnittes, Dr. Leo Baer. Published by J.H.E. Heitz (Heitz & Mündel). Strassburg, 1903. German.
* Incunabula xylographica et typographica 1455-1500: catalogue 585, Joseph Baer & Co. Published by Joseph Bael & Co. Frankfurt, 1910. German, French.
Folding printed plates, facsimiles.
* Die deutschen drucker des fünfzehnten jahrhunderts, Ernst Voulliéme. Published by Reichsdruckerei. Berlin, 1922. German.
* Incunabula Typographica, A descriptive Catalogue of the books printed in The Fifteenth Century, in the library of Henry Walters. No publisher's name mentioned. Baltimore, 1906. English, Latin, French.
Fine leather binding, with Fleur-de-lis relief, frontispiece color facsimile. On the inside of the back binding – gilded binder's seal - Cesare Tartaglie e Figlio, Florence.
* Die drucker- und verlegerzeichen Italiens im XV. Jahrhundert, Max Joseph Husung. Published by Verlag der Münchener drucke. Munich, 1929. German.
Portfolio with introduction, explanations and 111 printed plates and facsimiles.
Six books and a portfolio, size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Books and various compositions about bibliophilia, typography and bindings.
* Catalogue of a highly important collection of books printed entirely upon vellum, produced in England or on the continent of Europe between the years 1502 and 1878, J. Pearson & Co., E. Gordon Duff. [Published by J. Peason & Co.], London, [1916?]. English.
* Katalog der büchersammlung Leopold Hirschberg; eine ergänzung zu dessen Erinnerungen eines bibliophile, Leopold Hirschberg. Published by Bibliophiler Verlag, O. Goldschmidt-Gabrielli. Berllin, 1920. German. Complementary book for "Erinnerungen eines Bibliophilen".
* A Tipografia Hebraica em Portugal no Século XV, Moses Bensabat Amzalak. Published by Imprensa da Universidade. Coimbra, 1922. Portuguese. Copy no. 59 out of 150. Signed.
* Erinnerungen eines Bibliophilen, Leopold Hirschberg. Published by Bibliophiler Verlag, O. Goldschmidt-Gabrielli. Berlin, . German. Signed and numbered copy, no. 107 out of an edition of 200 copies.
* Über hebraische Typen und Schriftarten, Rafael Frank. Berlin, 1926/ German. Numbered copy, 120 out of 500.
* Schriftproben der Offizin Haag-Drugulin A.-G. [Published by Offizin Haag-Drugulin]. Leipzig, 1929. German.
* Bucheinbände. Bookbindings, historical and decorative. [Published by Joseph Baer & Co.]. Frankfurt, [1930?]. German.
* Nachtrag zur Schriftprobe der Offizin Haag-Drugulin AG. Leipzig, 1930, 1933. German. Two volumes.
* Die frakturschriften der Offizin Haag-Drugulin AG. [Published by Offizin Haag-Drugulin]. Leipzig, 1935. German.
* Idishe tipogrfye un bukj-oysarbetung kunst, Dr. Herman Frank. Published by Idisher shriftzetser union. New York, 1938. Yiddish.
* The History of Bookbinding, 525-1950 A.D., an Exhibition Held at the Baltimore Museum of Art. Published by The Trustees of the Walters Art Gallery. Baltimore, 1957. English.
12 books. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Collection of books about printing, typography and collecting books as a hobby and as a profession.
* Umriss einer Fachkunde für Büchersammler, Gustav Adolf Erich Bogeng. Published by Max Horowitz. Berlin, 1909-1911. German.
* Vierteljahrsschrift für angewandte Bücherkunde, Gustav Adolf Erich Bogeng. Published by Max Horowitz. Berlin, 1918-1922. German.
Quarterly for book collectors. Issues of every year are bound without the cardboard covers and the these were bound separately in three groups throughout the volume.
* Ubdruck von denjenigen Röslein und Zierrathen, Johann Tomas Trattnern. Vienna, 1760. Published by Jahoda & Siegel. Vienna, 1927. German.
Facsimile copy of an album for typography and decorations from the eighteenth century. Introduction on a separate unbound signature. Copy no. 1 out of 200 copies.
* Die Handpresse, Ch. H. Kleukens. Published by Ernst Ludwig Presse, Darmstadt, 1926. German.
Essay about the manual printing press in a fine edition of 125 copies.
* Zur Entwicklung der deutschen Gebrauchsgraphik, Walter von zur Westen. Printed by Otto V. Holten. Berlin, 1927. German.
Facsimiles and prints. A bibliophile edition printed in one hundred and fifty copies. Copy no. 65.
Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Six books about gold, silver and platinum hallmarks in different countries:
* English goldsmiths and their marks; a history of the goldsmiths and plate workers of England, Scotland, and Ireland, Charles James Jackson. New-York: Dover Publications, 1921. English.
* Dictionnaire des poinçons officiels français & [et] étrangers, anciens & [et] modernes, Emile Beuque. Paris: F. de Nobele. 1962. French. Two volumes.
* Dictionnaire des poinçons officiels français & [et] étrangers, anciens & [et] modernes, Emile Beuque. Paris: De Nobele, 1964. French.
* Verzeichnis der russischen Gold-und Silbermarken, B. Rothmund, Slavisches Institut München. Munich: Slavisches Institut, 1971. German.
* Die Kunst der Augsburger Goldschmiede, 1529-1868: Meister, Marken, Werke, Helmut Seling. Munich: C.H. Beck, 1980. German. Three volumes.
* Jackson's silver & gold marks of England, Scotland & Ireland, edited by Ian Pickford. Published by Antique Collectors' Club, Woodbridge, Suffolk (East England), 1989. English.
6 books in 9 volumes. Size varies. Good condition.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
Seven books about pewter objects and pewter hallmarks:
* Nürnberger Zinn, Erwin Hintze. Leipzig: Klinkhardt & Biermann, 1921. German.
* Russisches Zinn, Johnnes Gahlnback. Leipzig: Hiersemann, 1928. German and Russian.
* Böhmisches Zinn und seine Marken, Friedrich Tischer. Leipzig: Karl. W. Hiersemann, 1928. German. Foxing.
* Das Buch vom Zinn, Amoldus J. G. Verster. Hannover: Das Buch vom Zinn, Amoldus J. G. Verster, 1963. German.
* Markenzeichen auf Zinn, Dagmar Stara. Prague: Artia, 1977. Index of pewter hallmarks. German.
* Zinn, die ganze Welt des Zinns, von den Anfängen bis ins 19 Jahrhundert, Philippe Boucaud, Claude Fregnac. Published by Office du Livre, Scherz Verlag, Fribourg, Bern and München, 1978. German.
* Zinn nach altem Vorbild, Beitrag der Familie Weygang zum historischen Handwerk und Fortführung traditioneller Formen in der Gegenwart, Reto Niggl, Feinzinngiesserei und Drechslerei August Weygang. Munich-Paris: Schneider-Henn, 1983. German.
7 books. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
Eight books about the history of the Bauhaus style and its influence on architecture, design and art:
* Die Bauhaus-Mappen "Neue europäische Graphik", 1921-23, Heinz Peters. Cologne: C. Czwiklitzer, 1957.
* Die Mappenwerke "Neue europäische Graphik", Hans Maria Wingler, Published by [F. Kupferberg], [Mainz], 1965. German.
* Das Bauhaus: 1919-1933; Weimar, Dessau, Berlin und die Nachfolge in Chicago seit 1937, Hans M. Wingler. Published by DuMont; Bramsche, Rasch, 1975. German.
* Bauhaus Utopien Arbeiten auf Papier, Wulf Herzogenrath, Stefan Kranus. Published by Cantz, [Stuttgart], . German.
* The Bauhaus, masters & students by themselves, Frank Witford, Julia Engelhardt. Woodstock-New-York: The Overlook Press, 1993. English.
* Women's work: textile art from the Bauhaus, Sigrid Wortmann Weltge. San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1993. English.
* Bauhaus, 1919-1933, Magdelena Droste. Cologne: B. Taschen, 1998. English.
* Bauhaus, Jeannine Fiedler, Peter Feierabend. Cologne: Könemann, 1999. German.
8 books. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
Three books about the art of ceramic and porcelain, with numerous pictures:
* Sammlung Darmstaedter Berlin, Europäisches Porzellan des XVIII. Jahrhunderts, Ludwig Schnorr von Carolsfeld. Berlin: Rudolph Lepke's Kunst-Auctions-Haus, 1933. Large and luxurious auction catalogue, with vellum spine. German.
* European ceramic art, from the end of the Middle Ages to about 1815, William Bowyer Honey. London: Faber and Faber, [1949-1952]. Two volumes. English. Inscriptions by hand on the book's leaves.
* Porzellanmaler Lexikon, 1840 - 1914, ein Handbuch für Sammler und Liebhaber, Waltraud Neuwirth. Braunschweig (Germany): Klinkhardt et Biermann, 1977.
3 books in 5 volumes. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
Five books about Morocco from different angles – photographs of views and people, art, jewelry, dishes and more:
* Le Maroc, Edmundo De Amicis, traduit de l'italien avec l'autorisation de l'auteur par Henri Belle. Paris; Hachette, 1882. French. Journey in Morocco, illustrations. Decorated leather binding. Significant foxing.
* Nordafrika, Tripolis, Tunis, Algier, Marokko, Baukunst, Landschaft, Volksleben, Ernst Kuhnel. Berlin: Verlag Ernst Wasmuth, 1924. Photography book in black and white depicting North African countries. German.
* La décoration marocaine; cinquante-quatre planches accompagnées d'une préface et d'une table descriptive, Joseph de La Neziere. Paris: Librarie des Arts Decoratifs Calavas, [1925?]. French. Plates depicting dishes, fabrics and jewelry. Detached cover boards, torn spine.
* Le Costume au Maroc, par Gabriel-Rousseau. Paris: Le Boccard, 1938. French. Portfolio with pamphlets, with texts and illustrations of costumes and garments mounted on the leaves.
* Bijoux arabes et berbères du Maroc, Jean Besanceno. Casablanca: Éditions de la Cigogne, . Portfolio with pamphlets and plate-sheets with illustrations of Arab jewelry designed by the artist Jean Besancenot, with captions. Reproduction of a drawing in color facing the title page.
5 books. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
* Die Holzmöbel der Sammlung Figdor, Dr. Hans Stegmann. Published by von Artaria & Co. Vienna, 1907. German.
A sales cataloge with details about the wood furniture of Dr. Albert Figdor, a private Jewish-Austrian collector. The collection consists of rare items from the Renaissance and forward. In 1891 Dr. Figdor offered to donate his collections of art and Judaica to the art museum in Vienna but being Jewish, he was refused. Over the years, the collections were sold to collectors and museums worldwide. Some items of the Judaica Collection reached the Jewish Museum in Vienna. Leather and marbled paper binding.
, 122 pp, 33 cm. Fair-good condition. Age-related stains. Several leaved stuck to each other. Ex Libris.
* Photograph album of the collection furniture on display with a photograph of Dr. Albert Figdor at the beginning, leather binding, gilt edges. Bound by Fred Bakala and signed with gold embossing on the inner side of the binding.
 leaf,  picture mounted on album leaves, 33 cm. Very good condition. Cardboard leaves somewhat wavy. Spine partly torn.
Literature: Style and Seduction: Jewish Patrons, Architecture, and Design in Fin de Siécle Vienna, Elana Shapira. Published by Brandeis University Press, 2016.
Katalog des Jüdischen Kulturbundes in Deutschland E. V. Abteilung Published by Abteilung Verlag. Germany, [193?]. German.
Catalogue for Torah writings and works by Jewish authors, published by the associations for Jewish culture in Germany. Ten chapters, dedicated to genres like religious texts, non-fiction books, children's books, plays, music etc.
K chapters, no chapter I, varying pagination for each chapter, 29 cm. Fair-good condition. Stains. Tears. Open tears. Rebound.
Various catalogues and various bibliographic books concerned mainly or partially with Jewish, Hebrew and Samaritan books and with Jewish history. * Descriptive List of the Hebrew and Samaritan MSS. in the British Museum, G. Margoliouth, B.A. Published by Oxford University Press. London, 1893. English. * Magna Bibliotheca Anglo-Judaica, A Bibliographcal Guide to Anglo-Jewish History, Cecil Roth. Published by Jewish Historical Society of England, University College. London, 1937. English. * Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, G. Margoliouth, M.A… Published by Oxford Univerisy Press. London, 1935. English. * Bibliografia Geral Portuguesa, Seculo XV, Academia das Ciências de Lisboa. Published by Imprensa Nacional de Lisboa. Lisbon, 1942. Portuguese. Two volumes. * The Brooklyn Museum Aramaic papyri; New Documents of the Fifth Century B.C. from the Jewish Colony at Elephantine, Emil G. Kraeling. Published by Lowe & Brydone. London, 1965. English. Three volumes out of four. * Catalogue of the Hebrew and Samaritan Manuscripts in the British Museum, G. Margoliouth, M.A.. London: Lowe & Brydone Press, 1965. English. Three volumes out of four. * Annales Hebraeo-typographici seculi XV et ab anno 1501 ad 1540. Descripsit et instruxit fuso commentario notisque historicis-criticis illustravit cum indicibus alphabeticis auctorum et operum, John. Bern. De Rossi. Facsimile. Published by Philo Press. Amsterdam, 1969. Latin. * Catalogue des Manuscrits marocains de la Collection Klagsbald, Victor Klagsbald. Published by Éditions du Centre national de la recherche scientifique. Paris, 1980. French and Hebrew. 11 books and booklets. Size and condition vary. Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Catalogue of the permanent and loan collections of the Jewish Museum, London, edited by R. D. Barnett. Stephen Austin and Sons, London, 1974.
Catalogue divided according to topics: synagogues, holidays, Jewish life cycle, books and manuscripts. Includes detailed records of exhibits and more than two hundred photo-plates in color and in black and white.
184, XXVI pp + [CCVII] plates, 29.5 cm. Good condition. Some wear and small tears to dust jacket.
Collection of catalogues of biblical literature, Hebrew books, books about Judaism and catalogues of Jewish Art objects in libraries and in various collections.
* Oysshtelung fun 181 manuskriptn, inkunablen un andere zeltene oysgaben fun der biblioteke yudaikasimonseniyena in kopenhagen. Published by Galerie Royal. Paris, 1952. Yiddish.
* Hebraica, For the Greater Part from the Library of Late Dr Peritz, Catalogue No. 61. Published by Internationaal Antiquariaat (Menno Hertzberger). Amsterdam, [1930?]. English.
* Judaica im Staatsarchiv Darmstadt, Bd. I, Urkunden 1275-1650, Friedrich Battenberg. Published by Zechnersche Buchdruckerei. Darmstadt, 1981. German.
* Valuation of Hebrew Books in the Library of Mr. J.M. Lowy, Taken for the Purposes of Insurance, Professor Chimen Abramsky. London, . English.
* Panorama of Ancient Letters, Four and a Half Centuries of Hebraica and Judaica, Mitchell M. Kaplan. Published by Academy Photo Offset. New-York, 1942. English.
* Jews' College, London, Centenary Celebration, 1855/5616-1955/5716; Catalogue of an Exhibition of Books by Members of the Academic Staff and Alumni, at the Jews' College Library. London, 1955. English.
* I Teyl. Bikher vegn bikher, yudaika, Yuli Gens. Published by Libris. Tallin, 1939. Russian, German, Yiddish, Hebrew and English.
* Alfei Menashe, Catalogus der Tentoonstelling in het Portugeesch Israëltisch Seminarium Ets Haïm te Amsterdam ter nerinnering aan het Driehonderd-Jarig Jubileum van het eerste door Menasseh Ben Israel te Amsterdam gedrukte Hebreeuwsche Boek, J. S. Da Silva Rosa. Published by Portugeesch Israëlietisch Seminarium Ets Haïm. Amsterdam, 1927. Dutch.
Two copies, one in original wrapper and one in a late binding.
* Jewish Ritual, Gold & Silver & Other Hebraica, Sotheby Parke Bernet Inc. New-York, 1967. English.
* Bibliotheca Manzoniana, catalogue des livres composant la bibliothèque de feu M. le Comte Jacques Manzoni. 2 Catalogues de la bibliothèque de feu M. le Comte Jacques Manzoni, Giuseppe Sangiorgi, Jacques Manzoni. Published by Imprimerie de l'etablissement S. Lapi. Cita de Castello, 1893. French.
* Biblioteca Española-Portuguesa-Judaica, A Catalogue of more than a thousand Printed Books & Mss. by SPpanish & Portuguese authors of Jewish origin. Published by Press of Frank Juckes. Oxford, 19-. English.
* Beit Hasefer, Catalog der reichhaltigen Sammlungen hebräischer und jüdischer Bücher, Handschriften, Kupferstiche, Portraits, etc., M. Roest. Published by Frederik Muller. Amsterdam, 1868. German.
* Gids voor de Tentoonstelling der Bibliotheca Rosenthaliana, ter gelegenheid van het driehonderd-jarig bestaan der Hebreeuwsche typographie in Amsterdam, 1627-1927, [Bibliotheca Rosenthaliana]. Published by Universiteits-Bibliotheek. Amsterdam, 1927. Dutch.
* Bücher vom jüdischen Leben, R. Löwit. Published by R. Löwit. Vienna, [1924?].
* Exhibition of Hebrew Manuscripts and Old Books from the 13th-17th Centuries [Published by Royal Library, Jewish Department]. Copenhagen, 1974. English.
* Catalogue of an exhibition of Hebrew manuscripts and printed books, together with other items of Jewish interest. Manchester, 1958. English.
* Rödelheimer Ausgaben Verlags-Verzeichnis. Published by M. Lehrbeger & Co. Frankfurt, 1928. German.
* Zeitschriftenverzeichnis Judaica, Bestände der Sondersammelgebietsbibliothek. [Published by Die Bibliothek]. Franakfurt, 1984. German.
* Bücher aus verschiedenem Besitz, Hebraica, Judaica, Handschriften, Inkunabeln, Bücher des 16.-20. Jahrhunderts, [J. Kauffmann]. Published by J. Kauffmann Verlag. Frankfurt, 1933. German.
20 books and pamphlets. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Hebrew and Judaic Manuscripts in Amsterdam Public Collections, L. Fuks, PH.D. and R.G. Fuks-Mansfeld, M.A.. Leiden, 1973, 1975. English.
A two-volume catalogue listing the Hebrew books and manuscripts in Amsterdam libraries. With facsimiles, some in color, including photographs of Ketubot.
1st volume: XIV, 349 pp + 19 facsimiles. 2nd volume: XII, 291 pp + , 11 facsimiles, 26 cm. Very good condition. Two volumes.
Original Illustrations & Cartoons by Arthur Szyk. New-York: Parke-Bernet, 1959-1965.
Five auction catalogues devoted to works by Arthur Szyk. Next to each item appears the final result, inscribed by hand.
Size and condition vary.
Buntpapiere um 1900-1930: Eine Sammlung interessanter Buntpapiere, wie sie im ersten Drittel des 20. Jahrhunderts hergestellt und verwendet wurden. Published by F. & I. Siegenthaler, Paper Art. Muttenz, 1981. German.
Two bound collections of colorful paper samples used in the print industry between 1900-1930. Copies no. 29 and 44 out of 49. Each copy with different papers.
[1 + 49] leaves, 7 pp, 20 cm.; [1 + 43] leaves, 7 pp, 28.5 cm. Very good condition.
Collection of catalogues of Judaica items – Sotheby's auction house, 1980-2015.
16 catalogues. Size and condition vary.
Exquisite Facsimile of the Nuremberg Chronicle. Leipzig: F.W. Hendel, 1933. Facsimile of the German edition of the Nuremberg Chronicle. The chronicle features numerous engravings, including an engraving of Jerusalem. Copy no. 104 (size of edition not indicated).
 leaves, CCLXXXVI pp, 46 cm. Good condition. Stains to binding.
Genesis und Exodus der Wenzelbibel. Austria, 1981. German.
Facsimile of the Books of Genesis and Exodus from the Wenzel Bible, an illuminated manuscript of the German translation of the Bible, prepared for King Wenceslas. The manuscript was created in Prague around the year 1390 and is one of the earliest translations of the Bible into German. The facsimile is printed on vellum-like paper and the illuminations are gilded. Damage and unevenly trimmed leaves reproduced as in the original.
98 leaves, 53 cm. Very good condition. Leather binding. Stained cardboard case.
Weltchronik, Karl der Grosse, Rudolf von Ems, Der Stricker. Published by Faksimile-Verlag. Luzern, [13th century], 1982. Middle- high German.
A facsimile in accurate colors of the Universal Chronicle by Rudolf von Ems, the poet and history writer of the thirteenth century and of "Karl the Great", epic about the life of Karl the Great by an author who is known only by his penname "the knitter", also of the thirteenth century. The facsimile is of a manuscript found in the Abbey Library of St. Gallen, Switzerland, printed on vellum-like paper. Meticulousilluminations, rich in details and gilded as in the original. Uneven leaf edges, damage and tears are reproduced as in the original. Leather binding with inlaid metal buttons, with leather bands and metal clasps. Copy no 524 out of 980 copies.
214 +  leaves; 76,  leaf, 30 cm. Very good condition. Slight rubbings to corners of binding and to spine.
Birkat HaMazon, Complete Facsimile-Edition in Original Size. London: Ceylar Publishing Company Ltd., 1983.
A full color facsimile, in original size, of Birkat HaMazon, Keriat Shema and other blessings in an illuminated manuscript of 1738. Copy no. 169 out of an edition of 1000 copies. A miniature book, leather binding, in a fine cardboard slipcase.
24 leaves, 9 cm. Very good condition.
A narrative of the expedition to Algiers in the year 1816, under the command of the Right Hon. Admiral Lord Viscount Exmouth by Avraham V. Salame. London: J. Murray, 1819. English.
The story of bombarding Algiers from the sea in 1816, when the British and Dutch navies bombarded Algiers from the sea in an attempt to end slavery in Algiers, composed by Avraham V. Salame who documented the battle in great detail and added his commentaries. The author, born in Egypt, mentions briefly in the book his travels in the Mediterranean basin, including Eretz Israel, with references accompanied by engravings to women's costumes including Jewish women.
, clxi, 230,  pp +  folding engraving plates. Author's portrait frontispiece. 21 cm. Good condition. Stains. Leather binding with fine, decorated, spine. Defects to bindings.
Notes, During a Visit to Egypt, Nubia, The Oasis, Mount Sinai and Jerusalem, by Sir Frederick Henniker, Bart. London: John Murray, 1823.
A book recounting the story of Frederick Henniker's travels (1793-1825) to Egypt, Sinai and Jerusalem. An engraving on the title page, an engraving plate in the book and two folding plates: panorama of Jerusalem and Mount Sinai, an engraving by George Hunt after a drawing by the author.
X, , 340 pp +  engraving plate and  folding plates, 22.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains. Worming. Wear to margins of leaves. Detached signature.
Bilder Aus dem Heiligen Lande. Vierzig ausgewaehlte Original-Ansichten biblisch-wichtiger Orte treu nach der Natur gezeichnet von J. M. Bernatz, mit erläuterndem texte von G. H. v. Schubert. Stuttgart: J.F. Steinkopf, [circa 1939]. German.
Pictures from the Holy Land; forty biblical views after paintings by J.M. Bernatz, with text by Gotthilf Heinrich von Schubert. 39 lithograph-plates depicting views and sites in Eretz Israel and the vicinity – Damascus, Hebron, Tiberias, Mount Carmel, Nazareth, Mount Tabor, Joseph's Tomb in Nablus, and more. Folding panorama of Sinai.
 leaves +  plates. One plate lacking. 23 cm. Good condition. Significant foxing.
Von New York nach San Francisco: flüchtige Reiseskizzen aus dem Jahre 1869, Ernst Mendelsohn-Bartholdy. Published by Metzger & Wittig. Leipzig, -187-]. German.
A coast-to-coast travel diary, written during a journey in the post-Civil-War United States. Letters of Ernst Mendelsohn-Bartholdy, nephew of the composer Felix Mendelsohn-Bartholdy, who wrote to his parents during his stay in the United States.
 leaves, 192 pp, 22 cm. Good condition. Rubbings to margins of binding.
De Paris a Samarkand. Le Ferghanah, le Kouldja et la Siberie occidentale. Impressions de voyage d' une Parisienne ["From Paris to Samarkand, Fargʻona, Kouldja and West Siberia. Impressions of a Voyage by a Parisian"], by Marie de Ujfalvy-Bourdon. Paris: Librarie Hachette, 1880. French.
Travel book in central Asia with 273 woodcuts and 5 maps (one in color). Prints depict mainly people, costumes, dishes, buildings and landscapes of the countries which the author visited, created by artists such as E. Metzmacher, E. Bayard, E. Ronjat, and more. Frontispiece print with author's portrait. Fine binding, gold-embossed cover.
 leavs,  pp +  print plates, 487 pp, 34 cm. Good-fair condition. Foxing. Partly detached binding with some damage. Gilt edges.
Collection of travel books to Eretz Israel, amongst them:
* Holy Land and the Bible. London, 1887. Map and engravings. English.
* Sinai and Palestine in Connection with Their History. London, 1889. Color maps and engravings. Fine leather binding. English.
* Palestine Past and Present, Pictorial and Descriptive. London-New-York, 1890. Engravings. English.
* In Scripture Lands. London, 1891. Engravings, photographs and maps. English.
* Excavations at Jerusalem 1894-1897. London, 1898. Engravings, illustrations and maps. English.
* My Tour in Palestine and Syria. London-New-York, 1899. Photographs, maps of Jerusalem and Eretz Israel, folded and contained in a pocket mounted on the binding. English.
* The Holy Land. London, 1902. Color illustrations. English.
* Palästina, Leipzig, 1927. Photographs, some in color, elaborate edition. Cover. English.
About 23 books. Size varies. Books were not thoroughly examined – sold AS IS.
Nine travel books to Eretz Israel and the history of Eretz Israel in different periods. Most books contain illustrations and maps:
* Incidents of travel in Egypt, Arabia Petraea, and the Holy Land, by an American by [John L. Stephens]. New-York: Harpers & Brothers, 1840. Second volume only.
* The Nestorians or, the lost tribes containing evidence of their identity by Asahel Grant. New-York: Harpers & Brothers, 1841.
* Incidents of travel in Egypt, Arabia Petræa, and the Holy Land by [John L. Stephens]. New-York: Harpers & Brothers, 1844. First volume only.
* Observations in the East, chiefly in Egypt, Palestine, Syria, and Asia Minor, by John P. Durbin. New-York: Harpers & Brothers, 1845. Second volume only.
* The history of the Jews from the Babylonian captivity to the present time by [W. C. Brownlee, Williams Jenks]. Boston: M.A. Berk, 1846.
* Travels in Egypt, Arabia Petraea, and the Holy Land, by Stephen Olin. New-York: Harpers & Brothers, 1851. Second volume only.
* Palestine, its geography and Bible history, with twenty lithographic maps, by F.G. Hibbard. New-York: Carlton& Porter, 1856. Several leaves are probably lacking.
* The history of Palestine, from the patriarchal age to the present time by John Kitto. New-York: Robert Sears, 1857. Lacking map.
* Sacred geography, and antiquities by E.P. Barrows. New-York: American Tract Society, . Plates and maps. Most of the spine is lacking.
9 books. Size and condition vary. Significant foxing.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold AS IS.
Destruccio Iherosolime [Destruction of Jerusalem / Destruction of the First Temple by the Chaldeans], double incunabula leaf (no. LXIIII) from Hartmann Schedel's "Schedelsche Weltchronik" ("Nuremberg Chronicle"). [Nuremberg: Anton Koberger, 1493].
Woodcut (uncolored) depicting the destruction of Jerusalem and the First Temple by Nebuzaradan, commander of the guard of Nebuchadnezzar King of Babylon, in the year 586 BCE.
According to Laor, this is only the second view of Jerusalem ever printed (Laor 1125).
Approx. 55X40 cm. Good condition. Tears to vertical folding mark. To holes to upper edge. Framed. Unexamined out of frame.
Terra Sancta quae in sacris Terra Promissionis olim Palestina. Map of Eretz Israel. Engraving colored by hand, out of the first atlas by Willem Janszoon Blaeu. Amsterdam, 1629.
Map of Eretz Israel, Sinai Peninsula and the Nile Delta, with division into tribal territories. First published in the first atlas by Willem Janszoon Blaeu but attributed to cartographer Jodocus Hondius II, who, most probably, created the engraving plate and sold it to Blaeu.
Leaf approx. 59X30.5 cm. Good condition. Stains. Framed. Unexamined out of frame.
Terra Sancta sive Promissionis, olim Palestina, in duo divisa Regna, Israel, et Iuda, et in sex subdvisa Provincias. Rome, [1679?]. Latin.
Map of Eretz Israel, in its division to the kingdoms of Judea and Israel, divided into six provinces and twelve tribal territories; copperplate engraving colored by hand by Georgius Widman, drawn according to the map of cartographer Guillaume Sanson. In the upper left corner – Map of Syria added by Jacobo Cantelio.
Engraving, 46X60 cm. Good condition. Stains.
Regni Davidici et salomonaei descriptio geographica cum vicinis regionibus Syriae et Aegypti / Schema II [geographic description of David and Solomon Kingdoms and the regions of Syria and Egypt/map no. 2]. [Nuremberg, 1750?]. Latin. A detailed map of Eretz Israel, Syria and Egypt, a hand-colored engraving by German cartographer, astronomer and mathematician Johann Matthias Hase. Map no. 2 out of a series of three maps showing the various ruling areas in Eretz Israel during various historic eras. This map describes the political division under the Seleucid Empire. A detailed legend on the left lists the various regions under different rulers. Engraving, 50X59 cm. Good condition. Cloth-backed thick paper. Folding mark. Some stains. Laor: 314A
The celebrated city of Jerusalem (now called by the Turks Cudsembaric) including its several famous buildings now in decay / Lodge sculp, drawn by John Lodge. [Published by Alexander Hogg, Britain, ca. 1874]. Panorama of Jerusalem, an engraving colored by hand. The map was printed in the book "Millar's New Complete & Universal System of Geography" and in many of the copies appears at the top of the map the inscription "Engraved for Millar's New Complete & Universal System of Geography". This inscription does not appear in the copy offered here. Size of engraving 31X20.5 cm. Good condition. Some foxing.
Vue générale de Jérusalem historique et moderne par M. Adolphe Elzzner [general view of Historic and modern Jerusalem]. [Paris, 1862].
Panorama map with 100 landmarks. Color print by Adolf Eltzner, out of the French weekly "L'Univers illustré".
Size 32X50 cm. Good condition. Framed.
Diatagmata Judeaorum, Jüden ordnung ex iure Caesareo et pontificio concinnata et in illustri Julia, ad disputandum publice proposita, in usum Studiosae legum juventutis in eadem Acad. denuo edita [Laws concerning Jews in Germany], Heinrich Hahn. Helmstedt: Georgii Wolfgang Hamii, 1683. Latin and German.
 leaves, 19 cm. Good condition. Stains. Miniature worming damage.
"Wahr-gegründete Demonstration, im Nahmen und von wegen einer gesambten Impetrantischen Burgerschafft Deß H.R. Reichs Freyen Wahl- und Handel-Stadt Franckfurth am Mayn", booklet by Johann Jacob Böhler. [Frankfurt?, 1711]. German.
A document composed following a fire in Frankfurt Jewish Ghetto (1711). The document concerns the state of Jews and the causes that led to the fire.
 leaves. 30 cm. Fair condition. Stains, creases and tears at margins. Open tear of 2.5 cm to title page.
Dibere Haberith, Briefe der ausgezeichnetsten Rabbiner und Rabbiner-Collegien der vorzüglichsten israelitischen Gemeinden Deutschlands, Pohlen und Italien. Altona, 1819. German."Ele Divrei HaBrit" was published in Altona in 1819 following reforms carried out by the Hamburg community to liturgic texts and customs, such as introducing an organ into the synagogue, using the German language in prayers and other such changes. These reforms were the harbingers of the reform movement in Germany. This book contains a collection of letters by Torah leaders who strongly opposed the reforms, including a letter by Rabbi Akiva Eiger, the Chatam Sofer, Maharam Bennet, etc. This book is the German edition, published the same year as the Hebrew edition. 91 pp. 15 cm. Good condition. Damp staining and foxing.
Testament des Michael Salomon Freyhan [will and testament of Michael Salomon Freyhan]. Breslau (Wroclav): Lobel Sulzbach und Sohn, 1827. German. The last will and testament of the jeweler Michael Salomon Freyhan (1752-1826); apparently published by the trustees of his property. The booklet opens with an introduction including a short biography of Freyhan, written by banker and author Markus Bär Friedenthal. Includes pages handwritten in German – official papers from 1830 regarding Freyhan's will. OCLC lists only one copy.  leaf, VII, 35,  pp, 20 cm. Good condition. Foxing. Slight damage. Slightly worn cardboard binding, with tears at margins and spine.
Twelve Sermons, delivered in the New Temple of the Israelites at Hamburg by Dr. Gotthold Salomon, translated by Anna Maria Goldsmid. Published by John Murray, London, 1839. English.
Twelve sermons delivered by Shlomo Zalman (Gotthold) Salomon in the New Temple of the Israelites, the temple in Hamburg, translated into English by Anna Maria Goldsmid. The temple was known as the first reform temple and sparked the famous Temple Dispute.
viii, 247,  pp, 22 cm. Good condition. Some stains. Half leather binding.
* Protocolle der ersten Rabbiner-Versammlung, abgehalten zu Braunschweig, vom 12ten bis zum 19ten Juni 1844. Published by Friedrich Vieweg und Sohn. Braunschweig, 1844. German.
* Protokolle und Aktenstücke der zweiten Rabbiner-Versammlung abgehalten zu Frankfurt am Main, vom 15. bis 28. Juli 1845, [E. Ullmann]. Published by Verlag der E. Ullmann. Frankfurt am Main, 1845. German.
Two protocols in one volume, a detailed recording of the participants in the first rabbinical convention in Braunschweig and the second rabbinical convention, held one year later in Frankfurt, and the speeches delivered.
xvi, 130 pp; vi, , 382 pp, 20 cm. Fair-good condition. Age and foxing stains. Markings in pencil on margins of leaves. Library ink stamps to title page. Late binding. Worn edges.
Five booklets in German including sermons delivered in synagogues on various occasions, congregation regulations and other compositions:
* Edut LeIsrael, by Rabbi Shlomo Plesner. Breslau: Hirsch Sulzbach printing press, . Hebrew part and German part with a separate title page.
* Der Israelit als Unterthan: Festrede am 14. Cheschwan 5622 (18. Oktober 1861) zur Krönungsfeier Ihrer Majestäten, des Königs Wilhelm I. und der Königin Augusta von Preussen, gehalten in der grossen Synagoge zu Posen, Salomon Plessner. Posen: Hofbuchdruckerei von W. Decker & Comp, 1861. A sermon delivered in the synagogue in honor of the king and queen's coronation. German with some passages in Hebrew.
* Entwurf eines Gesetzes über die Organisation der israelitischen Religionsgemeinschaft in Preussen, nebst Einleitung, Begründung und Schluss, Heinrich Rosin. Berlin: R. Boll, . German. Significant foxing.
* Synagogen-Ordnung, Deutsch-Israelitischer Synagogen-Verband zu Hamburg. Hamburg: Siegmund Nissensohn, . German.
* Verfassung der Hamburger Deutsch-Israelitischen Gemeinde, Deutsche-Israelitische Gemeinde zu Hamburg Hamburg: Martin Philipsen, 1908. Constitution of the Jewish congregation in Hamburg. German.
5 pamphlets. Size and condition vary.
Sheet music for Jewish prayers and melodies, by cantors and musicians from various European communities. 1851 and later. Yiddish, French and German.
* Holy songs, Nouveau Recueil de Chants Religieux Al'Usage du Culte Israelïte, S. Naumbourg. Paris, 1864. French, Hebrew in French transcript.
* Dudaim, Kleines liturgisches Gesangbuch zum Gebrauche für Schulen, kleinere Gemeinden und die häusliche Andacht, S. Sulzer. Vienna. German. Hebrew in German transcript.
* Otzar Shirei Yeshurun, Musikalische Synagogen-Bibliothek, Jacob L. Weiss. Vienna, 1881. German, Hebrew in German transcript.
* Liturgische Zeitschrift, Hermann Ehrlich. Published by W. Blum, Meiningen, [1851-1859]. German, Hebrew in German transcript.
Various issues of the booklet bound together.
* Agudat Shirim, de chants religieux et populaires des israelites: de temps les plus reculés jusqu'à nos jours, S. Naumbourg. Published by the author, Paris, . French, Hebrew in French transcript.
* Tefilot – recitatives by M.A. Mittelberg, Lodz, 1928. Hebrew in Polish transcript.
* Kadish – Schluss for the High Holidays, Für Cantor, Unisono-Chor und Gemeinde, M. Rosenhaupt. Published by F.M. Geidel, Leipzig, German, Hebrew in German transcript.
Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Alphabetische Liste der Förderer der israelitischen Literatur (ausserhalb des österreichischen Staates) als Abonnenten des Instituts fur Förderung der israelitischen Literatur, Institut fur Förderung der israelitischen Literatur. Published by Albert Falckenberg, Magdeburg, 1860.
Alphabethical list of subscribers (from outside Austria) for the books of the Institute for Promotion of Jewish Literature, chaired by Ludwig Philippson. The Institute joined other initiatives and together they established a Jewish Reading Club which published every year several Jewish books, and these were sent to subscribers all over Europe.
29 pp, 21.5 cm. Good condition. Inscriptions in pen. Stains. New binding.
Literature: German Jewish Reading Cultures, 1815-1933, Nils Remer. Aschkenas, 2008/2009.
Walther Rathenau 1867-1922. Private printing (Privatdruck), Berlin, 1932
Compilation of texts, printed in a limited edition. This is copy no. 9.
Walther Rathenau (1867-1922), a German politician, the only Jewish foreign minister in the history of Germany, assassinated while in office.
75,  pp, 26 cm. Good condition. Stains.
Einladungsschrift zu der öffentlichen Prüfung der Unterrichtsanstalten der Israelitischen Religions-Gesellschaft, zu Frankfurt am Main. Frankfurt: H. L. Bronner's, 1870-1871.
Curriculum for the school for girls directed by Rabbi Shimshon Raphael Hirsch, 1870-1871.
48 pp; 40 pp, 25 cm. Good condition. Stains. Two booklets bound together in new binding.
Israelitische Wochen-schrift Für Die Religiösen Und Socialen Interessen des Judenthums [weekly for social and religious matters of Judaism], edited by Moritz Rahmer. Magdeburg, 1881. German.
Bound volume from the twelfth year, issues 1-52. Bound with "Jüdisches Literaturblatt" – literary supplement of the weekly, issues 1-52.
, 446; , 208 pp, 30.5 cm. Good condition. Foxing.Folds to corners of leaves. Tears to spine.
Eight sermons and ceremony programs for various occasions and holidays published between 1831 and 1897. Including sermons by Rabbi Salomon Plesner, Rabbi Max Freudenthal, Rabbi Moshe Aryeh Bamberger, Rabbi Meir Lehman, Rabbi Moritz Tauber and Rabbi Leo Munk and program of inauguration of the synagogue in Pflaumloch in 1846. German and Hebrew. Size and condition vary.
Portraits of 36 rabbis and intellectuals. [Europe, late 19th century – early 20th century].
Print of portraits of 36 leading rabbis and intellectuals from the early days of the Reform, Neo-Orthodoxy and Jewish Studies movements, among them Avraham Geiger, Isaac Bernays, Moses Mendelssohn, David Einhorn, Shmuel David Luzato, Yom-Tov Lipman Zunz, Isaak Marcus Jost, and more. Each portrait is numbered.
24X19.3 cm. Good-fair condition. Tears at margins. Framed, unexamined out of frame.
Verordnungsblatt des Großherzoglichen Oberrats der Israeliten. [Published by Malsch & Vogel], Karlsruhe, 1894, 1904. German.
Booklet III and booklet VIII of Jewish Congregations' regulations published by the Jewish Council of Baden duchy. The council was founded by the duchy in 1809 and was in charge of supervising the Jewish congregations and of enforcing local laws pertaining to Jews.
13-32 pp; 49-72 pp, 26 cm. Good condition. Restored tear to title page of edition III.
Three books, study of the history of Viennese Jews:
1. Geschichte der Juden in Wien, Bis Zum Jahre 1625, von Dr. Ignaz Schwarz. Vienna: Kommissionsverlag Gilhofer & Ranschburg, 1913. Nine photograph-plates of the Jewish quarter, greavestones, ancient Hebrew manuscripts and more.
 leaves, 64 pp +  photograph-plates, 40 cm. Good condition. Unopened sheets. Stains. Original cover mounted on a new binding.
2. Geschichte der Juden in Wien 1625-1740, von Dr. Max Grunwal. Vienna: Adolf Holzhausen, 1913. Nine photograph-plates of the Jewish quarter map, portrait of Shmuel Oppenheimer (Jewish banker), portrait of Shimon Wertheimer (diplomatic delegate to the royal court), Jewish gravestones, signatures and ink stamps of Jews of Vienna and more.
 leaves, 35 pp +  photograph-plates, 38 cm. Good-fair condition. Detached leaves. Stains. Tears. Damage to binding.
3. Die ersten Statuten des Bethauses in der inneren Stadt, aus Anlass der Jahrhundertfeier (2. nissan 5686/ 17. März 1926), by Dr. Bernahard Wachstein. Vienna: Vorstand der Israelitischen Kultusgemeinde Wein, 1926. A book concerning regulations of the great synagogue in Vienna, including detailed information about the congregation members and two illustrations of the front of the synagogue and the interior.
34 pp +  photograph-plates, 40 cm. Fair condition. Stains. Binding damaged and detached.
Four books about ancient cemeteries and inscriptions on gravestones, including regulations book of the Jewish congregation cemetery in Breslau, indicating the size of graves allotted by the congregations.
* Jüdische Grabmalkunst in Osteuropa, eine Sammlung, Rabbiner Dr. Arthur Levy. Published by Verlag Pionier. Berlin . German.
* Auszug der wichtigsten Bestimmungen über Errichtung von Grabdenkmälern, Einfassungen und Umfriedigungen auf den judischen Friedhofen Breslau-Loheftrasse und Breslau-Cosel. Published by S. Lillienfeld. Breslau. German.
* Gamla Judiska Gravplatser I Stockholm, [Moses Fried; Leon Fried]. Published by Judiska litteratursamfundet. Stockholm, 1927. Swedish. Unopened sheets.
* Die inschriften der jüdischen katakombe am Monteverde zu Rom, D.Dr. Nikolaus Müller. Published by Otto Harrassowitz. Leipzig, 1919. German.
Size and condition vary.
Collection of publications of Jewish Sports Unions in Berlin, early 20th century:
* Judische Turnzeitung, Judische Turnverein Bar Kochba Berlin. Berlin: Gr. Hamburger str.
Four volumes of the years 1901-1903, 1907. Compiled in each volume are the monthly publications of that year. Single additional booklet of 1909.
* Judische Montshefte für Turnen und Sport, Organ der jüdisch-nationalen Jugend bewegung. Berlin.
Four booklets of 1913, one from 1918.
4 books + 6 booklets. Size and condition vary. Tears and detached leaves.
Ausführliches Kochbuch für die einfache und feine jüdische Küche unter, Berücksichtigung aller rituellen Vorschriften in 3759 Rezepten [cookbook for the Jewish kitchen, with references to all of the customs and traditions. 3759 recipes], by Marie Elsasser. Frankfurt: J. Kauffmann, 1921. German.
810,  pp, 23 cm. Good condition. Stains. Restored spine.
* jüdischer jugendkalender [calendar for Jewish youth], for the year 1929, with stories and crosswords related to holidays. Berlin: Jüdischer Verlag, 1928.
* Der retter von Chula, juedische Jugend-Geschichten aus dem neuen Palaestina [the savior from Chula, stories for Jewish youth from new Palestine], by Eliezer Smoli. Berlin: Erich Reiss, 1935.
* helden der kwuzah [heroes of the group], stories for children, by Salo Böhm. Berlin: Kedem, 1935.
* Die Vier von Kinnereth, Jugendgeschichten aus Palästina. Four from Kineret, stories from Palestine, edited by Jaakow Simon, Berlin: Kedem, 1936. Illustrations and a map of Eretz Israel.
Size varies. Good overall condition. Foxing.
Three pamphlets published by Beit Ya'akov Center in Vienna:
* Beth Jakob 1928, 1929, Frankfurt, 1929.
Essays and photographs concerning Beit Ya'akov operation in Europe. German.
* History of Beth Jacob Girls' Schools, Vienna, 1933. Compositions and photographs about Beit Ya'akov operation in Europe.
* Tätigkeitsbericht der Beth Jacob Zentrale, Vienna, 1935. German. Report about Beit Ya'akov in Poland, Lithuania and Romania.
Beit Ya'akov Schooling system for Jewish girls was founded early in the 20th century by Sarah Schenirer in Kraków who opened a school for Haredi girls and named it "Beit Ya'akov". This school turned into a movement (this was a novelty based on a ruling by "Hafetz Haim", who stated that the prohibition to teach women Torah and Talmud is irrelevant to the present generation).
3 booklets. Size varies. Good overall condition.
Die politischen Lieder, aus der Revue "Juden hinaus" [political poems, out of the play "Jews Out"], by Viktor Berossi. Vienna: A.V. Schlesinger, [1930?].
Anthology of satiric "Jewish-Political" poems about various Jewish stories, among them biblical events and fables of our sages. The text is out of a satiric play titled "Jews Out", authored by Oskar Teller, founder of the "Jewish-Political Cabaret" in Vienna, using the pen-name Viktor Berossi.
16 pp. 22.5 cm. Good condition. Some stains.
Not listed in NLI and not recorded in OCLC.
A dozen reduced-size photographs printed on cardboard: eleven reduced-size photographs of portraits by Dr. Max Louis Rossvally and an additional photograph of "Shma Israel" blessing. Published by W.W. Hoyt, New-York, .
Rossvally depicts in the photographs various Jewish customs, such as: holding a Lulav, Kaparot, blowing a Shofar, and more.
Dr. Max Louis Rossvally (1828-1892) was born in Germany as Mordechai Rosenthal. He immigrated to the United States in his youth and joined the army as a surgeon. While serving as a military doctor during the Civil War he met an injured Christian soldier who left a deep impression on him. After the war, he converted to Christianity and founded a Jewish-Christian Association in New-York.
A dozen miniature photographs printed on cardboard. Size 16.5X10.5 cm. Good condition. Stains.
Heavy metal medal and an embroidered badge issued by HIAS organization ("Society for shelters and aid for Jewish immigrants"). New-York, first half of 20th century. Diameter of medal 12 cm. Good condition.
Quelques idées sur l'usure des juifs, dans les départemens du Haut et du Bas-Rhin, en allemand et français, Un Sundgauien [Riegert]. Published by Scherff. Paris, 1818. French and German.
Anti-Semitic book about Jewish usurers. German and French, page facing page.
223 pp, 18.5 cm. Fair-good condition. Worn edges of leaves. Wavy leaves. Rebound in plain paper wrapper.
The Riddle of the Jews' Success by Ferdinand Roderich-Stoltheim. Leipzig: Hammer-Verlag, 1927.
Capel Pownall translation of the book "Das Rätsel des jüdischen Erfolges" by Theodor Fritsch who used the pen name Ferdinand Roderich-Stoltheim. The author tried in this anti-Semitic book to solve "one of the greatest riddles in human history" – the riddle of the Jews' success. Information throughout the book attempts to explain the financial and business talents of Jews; references from the Bible and Talmud trying to present Jews as racists and many other classic anti-Semitic motifs.
288 pp. Table of contents leaf, bound at the end of the book, should have probably appeared after the title page. 22 cm. Good condition. Some stains. Original binding. Stains and wear to binding.
Eight booklets printed by the Jewish congregation in Nazi Germany. Published by "Vortrupp". Berlin, 1934-1938. German.
* "wir deutchen juden" by Hans Joachim Schoeps, 1934.
* "Wille und Weg" anthology of essays, 1935.
* "Briefe Aus Amerika", collection of letters, 1938.
* "USA als Einwanderungsland" by Hans Martin Schwartz, 1938.
* "Gegenwartsaufgaben Jüdischer Jugenderziehung" by Heinz Frank, 1938.
* "Familie auf Wanderschaft", by Hans Reisser, 1938.
* "Jüdischen Jugend zwischen Gestern und Morgen" by Günter Friedlaender, 1938.
* "Zur jüdisch-religiösen Gegenwartslage" by Hans Joachim Schoeps, 1938.
Approx.22.5X15.5 cm. Condition varies. Good overall condition.
Five Hebrew study books, published in Germany and in Austria after the rise of Hitler to power.
* Hebräisch part 1, by Dr. Moshe Goldman. Tel-Aviv – Berlin, 1935.
* Hebräisch für Jedermann, Hebrew for everybody, advanced, by Dr. S. Kaleko. Berlinb, 1939.
* Lerne Hebräisch, Hebrew for beginners – for adults, based on a new method, by Ben Haviv. Vienna, 1935.
* Lerne Hebräisch, Hebrew for beginners – for adults, based on a new method, by Ben Haviv. Vienna, 1939.
5 books. Condition varies. Good overall condition.
Struwwelhitler, a Nazi Story Book by Doktor Schrecklichkeit by Robert and Philip Spence. The Daily Sketch and Sunday Graphic publishing, [London, ca. 1941]. English.Struwwelhitler, parody on the German children's book Struwwelpeter, mocking Hitler and other leaders of the Nazi party amongst them Rudolph Hess, Herman Goering and Joseph Goebbels, as well as Mussolini and Stalin.The original illustrations of the book were adapted in such a way that Hitler's figure replaces the figure of Struwwelpeter. The rhymed tales were also adapted and they describe in a satiric way the misdeeds of Hitler.
24 pp, 17.5 cm. Good condition.
Two booklets printed right after the liberation of Auschwitz and Majdanek camps by the liberating forces, 1944-1945. German.
* Kommuniqué – der Polnisch-Sowjetischen Ausserordentlichen Kommission zur Untersuchung der von den Deutschen im Vernichtungslager Majdanek bei der Stadt Lublin begangenen Missetaten. Moskow: Verlag fur fremdsprachige Literatur, 1944. A booklet published in Russia closely following the liberation of Majdanek camp. 1944. * kwiaty oswiecimia [Auscwitz flowers], tolkaczew zinowij, 1945. Numbered copy 120/969. The book features 24 drawings by tolkaczew zinowij, a Russian artist who joined the Red Army forces that liberated Auschwitz and documented the camp. 1945. Partly detached binding, stains.
Approximately 15.5 cm, condition varies.
Crimes Nazis, Photos Inedites [Nazi crimes, unpublished photographs]. [France, 1945?].
Thirty-one photographs of concentration and extermination camps (mostly from Bergen-Belsen) upon their liberation, revealing Nazi atrocities and portraying S.S. officers and their subordinates imprisoned by the liberators. Most of the photographs were taken in Bergen-Belsen. Printed on the reverse of each photograph are the location and a caption in French and English.
About 31 photographs. 12X9 cm. Good condition. Inserted in three fallen-apart cardboard binders with a picture and inscription.
12 books about the holocaust and World War II, printed during the war or shortly afterwards, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, England and Eretz Israel, 1943-1947, Yiddish, English and German.
* Tomorrow in Germany, Antoni Krzewina, Jerusalem: Rubin Mass, 1943. English. 112 pp.
* When hostilities cease, the Fabian society, London: Victor Gollancz, 1943. English. 124 pp.
* Soll ich meines Bruders Hüter sein? [Am I my brother's keeper?], Zurich: Zollikon- Zürich. 1944. German. 108 pp.
* Flüchtlinge wohin? Zurich: Zentralstelle für Flüchtlingshilfe, 1945. German. 318 pp.
* Report from Germany, Leonard O. Mosley, London: Victor Gollancz, 1945. English. 125 pp. Ex-library copy.
* Der letzte jude aus polen, Stefan Szende, Zurich-New-York: Europa Verlag, 1945. German. 310 pp.
* Das Urteil von Nürnberg: vollständiger Text, Munich: Nymphenburger Verlagshandlung, 1946. German. 208 pp.
* Erden Hölle auf der in Häftling…X…, udo dietmar, thuringer volksverlag, Weimar, 1946. German. 208 pp.
* Geopfertes volk der untergang des polnischen judentums, M. Chersztein, Stuttgart: C.F. Rees printing press, 1946. German. 122 pp.
* Heimloze idn, Israel Efrat, Buenos Aires: Tsentral-farband fun Poylishe idn in Sau Paulo, 1947. Yiddish. 249  pp.
* Bleter vegn vilna, Lodz: farband fun vilner idn in Poylin bay der tsentraler idisher historisher komisye, 1947. Yiddish. 77, , XLII,  pp. Ex-Library copy.
12 books. Size and condition vary. Good-fair overall condition.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
1-6. Six Yiddish books printed for She'erit Hapletha in Europe:
* Kitzur Shulcahn Aruch oyf Idish. Landsberg. 1947.
* Berg khurban, kapitln foylen, Zrubavel. Stuttgart, 1948. Photographs.
* Podlishe in umkum, M. Y. Feigenbaum. Munich, 1948. Photographs.
* Umkum fun der Idisher Kovne, by Yosef Gar. Munich, 1948. Photographs.
* Fun Letztn Khurban, by Israel Kaplan. Munich, 1948.
* Partisaner fun Kaunaser Geto, by Meir Yelin. Moscow, 1948.
7-10. Lands and People, Reading and exercise. Four booklets: 2-3, 5-6. Munich, 1947, 1948.
11. Netzach Israel, periodical of Va'ad HaHatzala that operated in Germany. 1st issue. Munich, May 1948. Yiddish.
Size varies. Good overall condition. Wear.
In memory of our Jewish brethren who died for Kidush Hashem. Memorial plaque for Jews of Kiskőrös who were massacred during the holocaust. Kiskőrös, 1949.
Photograph of a memorial plaque inscribed and illustrated by hand. A large illustration on top (titled "Yizkor"), depicting a synagogue hall and scenes of Jewish history during the holocaust: wandering, forced labor, cargo trains, etc. On the borders appears the inscription: "Made by Yehiel Kline and mounted by Achi-Ezer Akiva – in 1949, in memory of his beloved ones who were murdered…from 1943 to 1945". The edges are decorated with iron chains, in each link appears an illustration and a text based on the Passover Haggadah, on verses from Jewish sources and on the liturgical poem "Unetane Tokef". In the center appear 400 names of victims murdered in Kiskőrös during the holocaust.
34X29.5 cm. Good condition.
The famous poem "Babi Yar" by Yevgeny Yevtushenko in which he protested against the Soviet indifference towards the remembrance of Jewish victims. Translated into Hebrew by Elchanan Indelman. With artistic illustrations designed as woodcuts created by Baruch Solomon. [no date indicated].
 leaves, 36X41 cm. Good condition. Leaves are inserted in a cloth-covered cardboard folder.
Terezin. 6 Lithographien zu einem Kindergedicht aus Theresienstadt. Freiburg: Syrinx Presse, 1968.
Portfolio with 6 lithographs by Roger Loewig (1930-1997), inspired by a children's poem written in Terezin Ghetto. All of the lithographs are signed, dated and numbered 48/120. Portfolio includes an introduction and the artist's biography as well as the poem in German and Czech.
 leaves + 6 lithographs, 30X30 cm. Good condition. Stains. Damage to portfolio.
Sulamith: eine Zeitschrift zur Beforderung der Cultur und Humanitat unter den Israeliten [Shulamit: magazine for promotion of Jewish culture], essays and poems in German, edited by David Fränkel. Dassau-Leipzig, 1818-1819.
Two volumes. Size varies. Good-fair condition. Worming. Stains.
Extensive collection of about 70 study and scholarly books, newspapers and bound volumes of issues of the Orthodox and Reform Jewry in Germany, published between the years 1823-1938.
Among them: * Jüdische Zeitschrift für Wissenschaft und Leben, five bound volumes of a periodical about science and life by Avraham Geiger. Breslau, 1864-1872. * Weekly "Der Israelit" by Rabbi Lehman, issues 84-101. Mainz, 1893. * Jahrbuch für Jüdische Volkskunde, by Max Gruenwald. Berlin-Vienna, 1923-1925. * Der Jung Jude, 9 issues from the years 1927-1929. * 11 issues of the periodical "Nachlat Zvi" presenting numerous essays including writings by Rabbi Hirsch. Frankfurt, 1930-1938, and some other books and papers.
Books were not thoroughly examined and are sold As Is.
Allgemeine Zeitung des Judenthums ein unpartheiisches Organ für alles jüdische Interesse in Betreff von Politik, Religion, Literatur, Geschichte, Sprachkunde und Belletristik ["Genral magazine of Judaism" devoted to politics, religion, literature, history, linguistics and more], published by Baumgärtner, Mosse, Leipzig-Berlin, 1837-1911. German. Eight bound volumes.
A weekly magazine devoted to Jewish interests, emphasizing German Jewry. The periodical was published continuously between the years 1837-1922. First it was printed in Leipzig and later in Berlin. The founder and editor of the periodical was the reform rabbi Ludwig Philippson.
The collection offered here contains eight bound volumes from the years: 1837-1839, 1842, 1844-1845, 1860, 1911. A single issue of 1890.
Eight bound volumes. Most volumes measure 24.5 cm. Condition varies. Stains and wear. Damage to bindings.
Illustrirte Monatshefte für die gesammten Interessen des Judenthums. Vienna, 1865-1866. German.
A periodical published for two years, featuring essays concerning Judaism and Jews from different aspects. Published in this periodical were scholarly essays about poetry, Jewish congregations around the world and some essays of a more amusing nature. The text is accompanied by tens of black and white illustrations, numerous portraits and biblical-historic scenes.
Two volumes. Vol. I: vii, 496 pp. Vol. II: iv, 476 pp. 23.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains and wear. Damage to bindings.
Die Neuzeit, Wochenschrift für politische, religiöse und Cultur-Interessen [weekly "New Era", political, religious and cultural aspects] edited by Simon Szanto. Vienna, 1877. German.
Bound volume of issues 1-52, 31 cm. Good condition. Ink stamps.
Хроника Восхода (Khronika Voskhoda), weekly supplement of the Jewish-Russian newspaper Voskhod, edited by Adolph Landau. Volume containing issues of year 17: issues 1-52. St. Petersburg, January-December 1898. Russian and some Hebrew.
The issues contain news from Russia and from around the world (including items and articles on the Dreyfus Affair), articles on the Jewish community, Zionism, Hebrew literature and press, and more. The issues also contain many advertisements, some of them printed in Hebrew, advertising, among other things, Jewish businesses, publishing houses and journals (with ads of the tea company Wissotzky, Carmel Warsaw wine, the Hebrew newspaper Hashiloach, Tushiyah Press, and more).
1924 columns (two columns per page), 32 cm. Good condition. Stains and creases. Worming to first leaves. Some leaves partly detached. Tears to some leaves. Worn binding, almost entirely detached.
Die Buecherei Maiandros, eine Zeitschrift von 60 zu 60 Tagen, periodical edited by Heinrich Lautensack, Alfred Richard Meyer, Anselm Ruest. Berlin-Wilmersdorf: Paul Knorr, 1912-1914.
"Library of Maiandros" – expressionist literary periodical in six parts published between the years 1912-1914. Each part is devoted to a different topic. The book offered here consists of the six parts bound together. Among the authors and creators who contributed to the periodical were Jewish writers and poets like Stefan Zweig, Albert Ehrenstein and Else Lasker-Schiller.
Drawings and illustrations throughout the book.
Six issues bound in one volume. Bound with several additional issues of supplements with responses and advertisements for the periodical.
21.5 cm. Good condition. Stains. Lleather spine. Damage to binding.
Der Jude eine monatsschrift, 8 volumes of the monthly. Berlin-Vienna: Jüdischer verlag, 1916-1924. German.
Der Jude was a Jewish periodical, for philosophy and literature, founded by Martin Buber in the midst of World War I, and published between the years 1916-1928.
8 volumes. 24 cm. Good condition.
Enclosed is a special volume published in honor of Martin Buber's fiftieth birthday. Berlin, 1928.
23 cm. Good condition. Stains.
Volumes were not thoroughly checked and are sold AS IS.
Volk und Land, Jüdische Wochenschrift für Politik, Wirtschaft und Palästina-Arbeit, Herausgegeben von Davis Trietsch. Berlin, 1919. German.
Volume of issues of the first year (apparently, no other issues were published) of the weekly "Volk und Land", a periodical dealing with the economic, political and social aspects of Zionism. Edited by Davis Trietsch (1870-1935), author and Zionist activist.
1624, xvi,  pp, 31 cm. Good-fair condition. Binding dismantled and detached.
Jüdische Familien-Forschung, Mitteilungen der Gesellschaft fur judische Familien-Forschung, Dr. Arthur Czellitzer [Jewish Family research, published by the "Society for Jewish Families"] Berlin, 1924-1938. German.
About 37 issues of the quarterly "Research of the Jewish family"; a periodical for genealogy and family-trees. The periodical was published in Germany between the years 1924-1938. The editor, Arthur Czellitzer, a Jewish ophthalmologist, founded the first society for research of Jewish genealogy. Arthur Czellitzer writes in the introduction to the first issue what the main aims of the society are, "since the Jewish people, at this stage, have no state nor a language of their own, the information about the family history will contribute to bring them closer to their original roots". The periodical included a section which presented the members' questions about genealogy and the answers by readers were published in the following issue. Czellitzer fled to Holland with his archive but was captured by the Nazis and murdered in Sobibor extermination camp in 1943.
Total of 37 issues (not consecutive, some lack pages), 23 cm.
Fair overall condition.
Die Kreatur, Eine Zeitschrift, periodical edited by Martin Buber, Viktor von Weizsäcker, Joseph Wittig. 6 issues. Issue No. 1 of 1926. Issues no. 1,2 of 1927. Issues no. 3,4 of 1928. Issue no. 3 of 1929. Berlin: Lambert Schneider, 1926-1929. German. Six issues.
Periodical for philosophy, religion and politics, focused on the encounter between religions. Edited by Martin Buber, Joseph Wittig and Viktor von Weizsäcker. Featuring articles by authors such as Walter Benjamin, Nikolai Berdyaev and Ludwig Strauss.
6 issues, 25 cm. Fair condition. Foxing. Worn margins. Detached leaves. Creases. Detached cardboard bindings Open tear. Lacking spines.
Spiegel der jüdischen Welt, Bilderbeilage der Selbstwehr, Illustrated Zionist monthly magazine edited by Moriz Mandl. Bound volume of first year issues: issues 1-11. Prague: Mercy Sohn, January-November 1927. German.
The monthly was published in Prague between the years 1927-1932. Enclosed is a single issue of 1929, no.7/8.
Volume 34 cm. Fair condition. Significant foxing. Slight tears. Adhesive tape. Damaged spine.
Der Yiddisher Farmer, The Jewish Farmer Published by the Jewish Agricultural and Industrial Aid Society, New-York, 1909.
Bound volume with issues 2-12 (issue no. 4 – missing) from the second year of the periodical Der Yiddisher farmer, novelties and inventions concerning growing produce and agricultural machines. Yiddish.
10 issues. 29 cm. Good-fair condition.
HaUma, Hebrew weekly. New-York: Shem Ve'Ever, 1915.
News about Jewish matters, essays and poems about current events by the period's authors, in Hebrew. Bound volume with 16 issues of the first year (1-15, 17). Issue no. 16 is missing.
16 issues. 27.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Detached binding.
An extensive collection of issues – "The Menorah Journal". Published by Intercollegiate Menorah Association, New-York, 1921-1956.
The Menorah Journal was an important intellectual periodical in English, published in New-York between the years 1915-1962. The periodical was devoted to the study of Judaism, literary criticism, poetry and art and provided a platform for Jewish authors and creators.
The collection offered here compiles some 85 issues of the periodical from the years 1921-1956; these are only part of the issues published during that period and are nonconsecutive. Some issues were bound in several volumes.
About 70 single issues + some 18 issues bound in six volumes. 25.5 cm. Condition varies. Paper covers of numerous issues are detached, worn and torn.
Menorah– Illustrierte Monatsschrift für die Jüdische Familie [illustrated periodical for the Jewish home/ periodical for science, art and literature]. Vienna-Frankfurt am Main-Berlin, 1924-1925. German, some Hebrew and English.
Two volumes. 2nd and 3rd year (1924-1925). 12 issues in each volume.
The periodical "Menorah", mainly about Jewish culture, was published in the years 1923-1932. After the third year, the sub-title of the magazine was changed.
From the introduction to the first issue: "Many of the current Hebrew papers have a limited purpose: political or religious. But this paper has a wider purpose: it aims to connect the various parties of Judaism and unite them around a common cultural basis…the paper is devoted to the Jewish home and Jewish family which have always been the stronghold of Judaism".
The periodical features numerous articles about art; among the artists featured: Marc Chagall, Max Lieberman, Hermann Struck, Moritz Oppenheim, Josef Israels, Abel Pann, Jacob Steinhardt and others. Articles and pieces by various writers including Max Nordau and Ze'ev Zabotinsky.
Two volumes. 32.5 cm. Good condition.
"unzer leben" [our life]. Shangahi. 1948. Yiddish, Russian and English.
A Jewish weekly in three languages published by the Zionist organization "Kadima" in Shanghai between the years 1941-1948, edited by David Rabinovitz. Editor of the Yiddish section was Menachem Flexer. Offered here is an issue dated October 18, 1948.
 paper cover,  leaves, 29 cm. Fair condition. Wear to edges of leaves. Stains. Creases.
Sächsischer Volkskalender für 1846. Published by R. Hartmann, Leipzig, 1846. German.
A calendar with many supplements among them stories and poems by various artists: Hermann Kletke, Friedrich Wilhelm Güll, August Theodor Woeniger, and more. Essays about various topics, icluding Jewish emancipation. With 14 print plates of illustrations and a folding engraving plate of Europe's map with markings of railway routes and central marine routes.
159,  pp +  print plates +  folding map, 16 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains. Creases. Damage to binding.
3 Jewish calendars and two almanacs from various cities in Europe, 1852-1927. Italian, German, Hungarian and Hebrew.
* Strenna israelitica il calendario ebraico per l'anno dalla creazione del mondo 5613, Gorizia, 1852. Italian.
* Judischer Kalender fur das Jahr 5677, Calendar for the year 5677 to the creation of the world and first year to our exile. Wien, 1916. German and Hebrew.
* Kunstkalender fur das Jahr 5688. Illustrated calendar for the year 5688, Munich . German.
* Culture-almanach 1911-12, editor Dr. Simon Hevesi. Budapest, 1912. Hungarian.
* A magyar zsido hadi archivum almanachja 1914-1916, edited by Dr. Simon Hevesi, Jeno Polnay, Dr. Jozef Patai. Budapest, 1916. Hungarian.
Size and condition vary. Good overall condition.
Beth-Lechem, Jahrbuch zur Befoerderung des Ackerbaues, Handwerks und der Industrie unter den Israeliten Ungarns [yearbook promoting commerce, agriculture, art and industry among Hungarian Jews], by Ignaz Reich. Two volumes. Athenaeum printing press. (Pest) Budapest 1871-1874. Hungarian.
Two almanacs accompanied by poems, quotations from the scripture, numerous essays and portraits engraving plates of Jewish-Hungarian personalities.
Almanac 1871: vii, , 239,  pp +  engraving plates.
Almanac 1874: , 185,  pp +  engraving plates.
21.5 cm. Good condition. Foxing. Damage to bindings.
Jahrbuch für jüdische Geschichte und Literature [yearbook for Jewish history and literature], published by Verband der Vereine für Jüdische Geschichte und Literatur in Deutschland [Federation of associations for Jewish history and Literature in Germany]. Berlin: A. Katz, 1898-1926. German. 27 volumes.
Essays were composed by the most eminent Jewish scholars and philosophers in Europe.
The yearbook was published between the years 1898-1938. During the years 1903-1938 the yearbook was printed by M. Poppelauer. The collection offered here contains all of the volumes since 1898 until 1926, consecutively. One volume was printed for the years 1921-22 and an additional volume for 1923-24. Publishing was halted between 1928-30 and 1932-35; most of the volumes are offered here.
27 bound volumes. 19 cm. Good overall condition. Stains. Some worming to several volumes. Detached leaves.
Europa Almanach, Malerei, Literatur, Musik, Architektur, Plastik, Bühne, Film, Mode ausserdem nicht unwichtige Nebenbemerkungen, edited by Carl Einstein and Paul Westheim. Potsdam: G. Kiepenheuer, . German.
"Europe Almanac", a yearbook focusing on European culture: painting, literature, music, architecture, sculpting, fashion and more. Among the many artists mentioned in the book are some Jewish artists such as Marc Chagall, Ludwig Meidner, Else Lasker-Schiller and more.
282,  pp,  folding sheet-music plates. 23 cm. Fair-good condition. Stains. Loose signatures. Partly detached binding. Tears and damage to binding.
Jahrbuch 1929, Stadttheater Wurzburg / Jahrbuch des Reussischen Theaters, 1930.
Two yearbooks of theaters in Wurzburg and in Gera, with numerous photographs of stage sets and actors.
110 pp; 71,  pp. Overall good condition.
Jerusalem, Oder, Über religiöse Macht und Judentum [Jerusalem, about religious power and Judaism]. Berlin: Friedrich Maurer, 1783. First edition.
This book, considered to be Mendelssohn's most important book, in which he calls for religious tolerance and recognition in the rights of Jews.
, 96, 141 pp, 16 cm. Good condition. Stains. Small loss to upper part of title page. Original binding. Wear and damage to binding.
Six books by Heinrich Heine and books about him. Germany, 1839-1857. Books no. 1-5 – first editions. 1. über Ludwig Börne. Hamburg: Hoffmann und Campe, 1840. 2. Denkwürdigkeiten und erlebnisse aus meinem zusammenleben mit ihm, Von Friedrich Steinmann. Prague-Leipzig: J.L. Kober, 1857. 3. Jahrbuch der Literatur. Hamburg: Hoffmann und Campe, 1939. Heine's portrait. 4. Ludwig Börne's Urtheil über H. Heine. Frankfurt: Johann David Sauerlander, 1840. 5. Die verbannten Gotter. Berlin: Gustav Hempel, 1853. 6. Romanzero. Hamburg: Hoffmann und Campe, 1852. Size and condition vary.
Three books by Alfred Döblin (1878-1957), first editions:
1. Unser Dasein. Berlin: S. Fischer, 1933. 14 woodcuts by Walter Heisig.
2. Der deutsche Maskenball. Berlin: S. Fischer, 1921. Published under pen name Linke Poot.
3. Blaubart und Miss Ilsebill. Berlin: Hand Heinrich Tillgner, 1923. Lithographs by Carl Kabus.
Size and condition vary.
Three plays bound together: * Der Jude, Schauspeil in 4 Aufzugen von Richard Cumberland, Neu bearbeitet von Carl Seydelmann. * Marie-Anne, Ein weib aus dem volke, Drama in funf acten von Joseph Mendelssohn. * Der Hauptmann der Schaarwache, Lustspiel in zwei akten von Th. Rose. Berlin: A.W. Hayn, early 19th century. ; 24; 19;  pp, 26 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains.
Eine völkerpsychologische Studie, Erinnerung an Dr. Adolf Jellinek (zu seinem Jahrzeitstage). Vienna: Moritz Mainzer & Sohn, 1903.
Composition published on the 10th death anniversary of Adolf Jellinek, prominent Austrian-Jewish scholar. Dedication by the author, on title page.
14 pp, 22 cm. Good condition. Stains. Tears and creases.
Amerika, roman, Franz Kafka. Munich: Kurt Wolf, 1927.
First edition of "Amerika" by Franz Kafka. The book is known also by its title "The Absentee" (Der Verschollene). The book was composed between the years 1911-1914 but was published only in 1927, some four years after Kafka's demise.
391 pp, 18.5 cm. Good condition. Significant foxing. Non-original binding.
Das Heilige Land, nach seiner ehemaligen und jetzigen geographischen Beschaffenheit, nebst kritischen Blicken in das Carl v. Raumer’sche "Palaestina", von Joseph Schwarz; Deutsch bearbeitet von Israel Schwarz. Frankfurt: J. Kauffmann 1852. German.
German translation of the book "Tvu’ot Ha’aretz" by Yehosef Schwartz. Accompanied by two illustration plates: a portrait illustration of R' Yehosef Schwartz appears facing the title page and an illustration of the Cave of the Patriarchs.
Two folding plates are bound at the end of the book: Illustration of a panorama view of the Old City in lithographic printing, together with a folding map of Eretz Israel (1847). Author's signature to title page.
xix, 452, 20 pp +  plates, 21.5 cm. Fair condition. Stains. Ink stamps. Tears. Lacking front cover board. Spine and back cover board are detached.
Seven books by Arthur Schnitzler, published by S. Fischer, Berlin, 1898-1927. German.
* Sterben, Novelle. 1898.
* Freiwild, Schauspiel in drei Akten. 1898.
* Komödie in drei Akten, Zwischenspiel. 1906.
* Masten und Wunder, Novellen. 1912.
* Professor Bernhardi, Komödie in fünf Akten. 1913.
* Komödie der Worte, Drei Einakter. 1918.
* Der Geist im Wort und der Geist in der Tat. 1927.
All the books are dedicated and signed by Arthur Schnitzler.
7 books. Approx. 20 cm. Good condition. Some foxing. Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Eight books by Arthur Schnitzler, signed by him, some dedicated by him. Berlin, 1901-1928. Germany.
* Das Vermächtnis. Published by S. Fischer Verlag. Berlin, 1901.
* Lebendige Stunden. Published by S. Fischer Verlag. Berlin, 1902. Ex Libris.
* Leutnant Gustl. Published by S. Fischer Verlag. Berlin, 1910.
* Fräulein Else. Published by Paul Zsolnay Verlag. Berlin, 1924.
* Komödie der Verführung in drei Akten. Published by S. Fischer Verlag. Berlin, 1924.
* Der Gang zum Weiher. Published by S. Fischer Verlag.Berlin, 1926.
* Spiel in Morgengrauen. Published by S. Fischer Verlag. Berlin, 1927.
* Therese, Chronik eines Frauenlebens. Published by S. Fischer Verlag, Berlin, 1928.
8 books. Size and condition vary.
Books were not thoroughly checked and are sold As Is.
Five books with dedications handwritten by Arno Nadel. Germany, 1913-1925
First 4 books are by Nadel.
1. Cagliostro, drama in fünf akten. Berlin: Neuer Deutscher, 1913.
2. Um dieses alles, Gedichte, Munich-Leipzig: Georg Müller, 1914.
3. Der Ton. Leipzig: Insel, .
4. Tänze und beschwörungen des weissagenden Dionysos. Berlin: Felix Stössinger, 1925.
5. Nina der Liebenden hoher Sang, Gedichte von Justus Lichten. Berlin: Drei Welten, 1923. Engraving by Arno Nadel, signed, Numbered copy 68/300, signed by the author.
Size and condition vary.
1. Schlaflied für Mirjam. Berlin: S. Fischer. Undated. German. Author's dedication in blue pencil from 1919, initialed. 4 pp. Tears, creases and stains.2. Vorspiel auf dem Theater zu König David. Vienna: Johannes-Presse, 1936. German. Numbered copy, 12/25, signed by the author. 30 pp. Numerous stains to binding.
3. Verse. Stockholm-New York: Bermann-Fischer, 1941. German. Numbered copy, 54/100, signed by the author. 63 pp. Very good condition.
4. Aus dem Fragment Paula, Herbstmorgen in Ӧsterreich. New York: Johannespresse, 1944. German. Numbered copy, 74/120, signed by the author. 51,  pp. Good condition.
5-6. Two postcards handwritten by Richard Beer-Hofmann, sent to the Viennese publisher Ludwig Goldscheider, founder of the art press Phaedon. One postcard is dated 1935, the other is undated (apparently from the same period). Very good condition.
Five books by Mynona (Salomo Friedlander), 1920-1932.
Books 4-5 – with dedications handwritten by the author.
1. Der Schopfer, Phantasie. Munich: Kurt Wolff, 1920. Eighteen illustrations by Alfred Kubin.
2. George Grosz. Dresden: Rudolf Kaemmerer, 1922. Thirty-seven reproductions of works by George Grosz.
3. Mein hundertster Geburtstag und andere Grimassen. Vienna-Leipzig: Jahoda & Siegel, 1928.
4.. Der Philosoph Ernst Marcus als Nachfolger Kants sein Leben und Lehre (3. IX. 1856 - 30. X. 1928). Essen: G.D. Baedeker, 1930. Dedication handwritten by Friedlander on title page.
5. Kant gegen Einstein, fragelehrbuch (nach Immanuel Kant und Ernst Marcus) Zum unterricht in den vernunftwissenschaftlichen vorbedingungen der naturwissenschaft. Berlin: Der Neue Geist, 1932. Dedication handwritten by Friedlander on title page.
Size and condition vary.
Ruhe Auf der Flucht, Aphorismen und Schlussreime, Ludwig Goldscheider. Stuttgart-Vienna-New-York: Phaidon, 1924.
Dedication handwritten by the author (Vienna, 1925) on first leaf.
51,  pp, 24 cm. Good condition. Stains.
Three books and a single leaf from Hugo von Hofmannsthal writings, three are signed.
* Szenischer Prolog zur Neueröffnung des Josefstädtertheaters. Published by Sechster Druck der Johannes-presse. Vienna, 1926. Copy no. 214 out of an edition of 350 copies. Signed by the author.
* Rieselied. Journey poem by the author, printed on a single leaf and signed.
* Das Schrifttum als geistiger Raum der Nation [Published by Munich University?]. [Munich?], 1927. Dedicated by the author and signed.
* Das Gespräch über Gedichte. Published by Hyperion-Verlag. Berlin, 1918. Ex Libris. Copy no. 38 out of an edition of 250 copies.
Anfang, Wie man merkrn wird die Ersten Cedichte von Hanns Friedrich Schulz. [Berlin], 1928.
Booklet with poems, stenciled. Copy no. xv, signed and dated in pen in the author's handwriting.
 leaves, 21 cm. Good condition. Stains. Wear to cover.
Vom Beruf des Verlegers, eine Festschrift zum sechzigsten Geburtstag von Bruno Cassirer, 12. Dezember 1932. Self-published. Berlin-Leipzig, 1932. German.
Book published on the sixtieth birthday of publisher and gallery owner Bruno Cassirer, with congratulations and essays about publishing, composed by his friends and colleagues. With reproductions of works, including a reproduction of Cassirer's portrait by Max Liebermann. Dedication signed by Cassirer on front endpaper.
119,  pp +  plates, 22.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Front cover detatched, worn bindind. Small open tears edges of binding. Large parts of spine are lacking.
Auf Kypros, Marie Madeleine. Published by Est-Est Verlag. Berlin, 1910. German.
Early poetry by author and poet Marie Madeleine, in an album format with prints of many works by leading artists of the period such as Lovis Corinth and Max Liebermann. Original engraving by Hermann Struck, signed in the plate. Copy no. 450 of 1,000.
132 pp +  print and reproduction plates, 36 cm. Good condition. Some foxing and age stains. Stained binding, worn. Spine partly detached. Adhesive tape.
Söhne, Neue Gedichte [Sons, New Poems], by Gottfried Benn. Berlin-Wilmersdorf: A. R. Meyer, . German.
The second book of poems by German poet, writer and essayist Gottfried Benn (1886-1956). Dedicated in print to poet Else Lasker-Schüler. Woodcut by Ludwig Meidner on the title page.
 leaves, 18 cm. Printed on high-quality paper. Good condition. Signature on title page, from 1914. New binding
Two books of the series Jüdische Bücherei [Jewish Library], bibliophilic editions, Berlin, 1920. German.
* Hermann Struck, Adolph Donath, Berlin: Verlag für Jüdische Kunst und Kultur, F. Gurlitt, 1920. German. 17,  pp +  picture plates. Illustrations accompany the text, copy out of a bibliophilic edition 24/100.
* Der Tischdank, Franz Rosenzwieg, Berlin: Verlag für Jüdische Kunst und Kultur, F. Gurlitt., 1920. German. 17 pp. Copy of a bibliophile edition 3/100.
22.5 cm, condition varies, markings in pencil, stains. Good overall condition.
Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, William Shakespeare. Published by Julius Schroder. Berlin, 1920.
The tragedy "Hamlet" by Shakespeare, with 35 engravings by Sepp Frank (1889-1970). Copy no. 108 out of 182. Artist's signature on colophon.
145 pp,  leaf, 31.5 cm. Good condition. Vellum binding, stained.
Kurtisanen-Gespräche, Pietro Aretino. Leipzig: Georg H. Wigand, [circa 1920]. German.
Comic play by the Italian playwright, satirist and author of the Renaissance period Pietro Arentino (1491-1556). Six engravings by Rolf Schott, one of which is a frontispiece engraving of the author's portrait. Copy no. 104 out of a limited edition of 200 copies.
160 pp +  pages with mounted engravings, 18 cm. Good condition. Some foxing. Half leather binding with gold embossing.
Three books printed in Germany in bibliophile editions, German. 1920s.
* Worte der Freundschaft, Edmund Meyer. Officina Serpentis Press. 1921.  leaves. Numbered copy 58/200.
* Die fünfundneunzig Thesen, Lutber Martinus. Officina Serpentis Press. Berlin, 1923.  leaves, 22 pp,  leaf. Copy out of a bibliophilic edition printed in 200 copies.
* Die Weisheit der Alten, Lord Bacon. Ernst Ludwig Presse. 87 pp  leaves. Numbered copy 331/500.
Size and condition vary, Good overall condition.
Der Anlauf, Zeitschriften der Jahre 1817-1821 mit den ersten dichterischen Veröffentlichungen von H. Heine in naturgetreuen Wiedergaben. Mit einer epistularen Einleitung in einem Briefe Heines an Herbert Eulenberg. Published by Hoffmann und Campe, Hamburg-Berlin, 1921. German.
Collection of facsimiles of Heinrich Heine's (1797-1856) poetry from the years 1817-1821 which were published in newspapers. Copy no. 296 out of an edition of 1000 copies. Leaves of different sizes, bound together. Cover binding by Erich Buttner.
XVI title and foreward leaves +  leaves, 26 cm. Unopened sheet. Slightly stained leaves with wear at margins. Unraveled spine.
Der Heiligen Bücher des alten Bundes [Holy books of the bible]. Two volumes.
First volume: Das Fünfbuch Moses [Pentateuch]. Second volume: Die Ersten Propheten [early prophets]. Berlin: Erich Reiss, 1921-1923. German.
Bibliophile edition of the bible translated into German by Lazarus Goldschmidt – two first volumes (out of three). Printed in 300 copies on high-quality paper. Full color initials and color illustrations at chapter divisions.
Volume I: 201,  pages. Volume II: 175,  pages, 31 cm. Fine bindings, in ancient style. Both volumes are in cardboard slipcases. Overall good condition. Foxing around leaves’ margins. Tears to wrappers and cases.
Florentinische Nächte, Heinrich Heine. Published by Hans von Weber, [Munich], 1923. German.
Florentine Nights by the poet Heinrich Heine, in a bibliophile edition of 100 copies. Illustrations by Franz Kolbrand. Copy no. 75. Thick paper. Rebound in gold-embossed blue leather binding.
112 pp, 19 cm. Good condition. Some rubbing to edges of binding.
Gerufene Schatten, Arnold Zweig. Berlin: Hans Heinrich Tillgner, 1923. German.
Novel by Arnold Zweig accompanied by lithographs created by Klaus Richter. Lithographs are signed in pencil. Bibliophilic edition of 100 copies printed on thick and fine paper. Copy no. 51, signed by the author and bound in green leather. A small lithograph appears on one of the first leaves, four lithographs within the text and four lithograph-plates.
62,  pp, 26.5 cm. Very good condition. Two unopened sheets. Signed copy. Damage to edge of cardboard slipcase.
Daniel Erzählung, Ernst Weiss. Berlin: Die Schmiede, 1924.
Numbered copy, 37/100. Signed by the author. Quality paper, wide margins. Gold-embossed cover.
, 81,  pp, 25.5 cm. Good condition. Some stains. Leather binding, slight damage.
Heinrich Heine und Robert Schumann mit einem bisher unveröffentlichtem Schumann-Bild, dem Stahlstich nach dem Bilde von M. Oppenheim, fünf unveröffentlichten Tagebuch, Gedicht und Brief-Faksimiles sowie Notenbeispielen. Hamburg-Berlin: Hoffmann & Campe, 1924.
Heinrich Heine and Robert Schumann, with engraving of Heinrich Heine by Moritz Oppenheim, facsimiles of poems and diary leaves by Heine and Schumann and Music by Schumann which has never been published. Portrait of Schumann on the first leaf. Fine leather binding, green with gold embossing, designed by Erich Büttner. Numbered copy 3/1000.
X, 65,  pp +  print plates and  facsimile plates, 27.5 cm. Good condition. Foxing.
Briefe aus Berlin, Heinrich Heine. Published by Chryfelius & Schulz. Berlin, 1924.
Letters from Berlin by Heinrich Heine, with lithographs by Hans Baluschnek. Numbered copy 170/200.
79,  pp, 32 cm. Good condition.
E. R. Weiss zum fünfzigsten Geburtstage, 12. Oktober 1925. Leipzig: Insel Verlag, 1925.
A jubilee book published by Herbert Reichner in honor of Emil Rudolph Weiss fiftieth birthday (1875-1942). Weiss, a German graphic designer, painter, typographer and poet. The book includes 165 plates, among them engravings, lithographs, woodcuts, reproductions and photographs of title pages, initials, fonts and bindings designed by Emil Rudolph Weiss. Compositions by authors and artists, among them: Martin Buber, Julius Rodenberg, Julius Meier Graefe, and others.
Three original prints: frontispiece lithograph of Emil Rudolph Weiss'sportrait by Karl Hofer, a lithograph by Karl Walser and a woodcut by Emil Orlik. A copy numbered 242 out of a bibliophile edition of 500 copies printed on thick paper in black and red ink.
106 pp,  leaves,  pp, 37 cm. Good condition. Some stains and creases. Vellum spine.
Die Bildnisminiatur und ihre Meister, Die Sammlung Professor Dr. Emerich Ullmann, Leo Grunstein. Vienna: Artur Wolf, 1925.
Exquisite catalogue of miniature portraits, from the collection of Prof. Emerich Ullmann, edited by Leo Grunstein. The catalogue features 150 plates with reproductions of portraits, some in color. The volume opens with texts about the artists and their works.
Printed on special paper. Copy no. 19 out of an edition of 250 copies. Bound in an impressive red leather binding.
88 pp, 150 plates, 30.5 cm. Good condition. Stains and damage to binding.
A Song about Tzar Ivan Vasilyevitch, his Young Body-Guard and the Valiant Merchant Kalashnikov, Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov. Published by Aquila Press. Kensington, 1929. English.
Bibliophile edition of the poem "A Song about Tzar Ivan Vasilyevitch" by Mikhail Lermontov. Decorations and cover design by Paul Nash. Copy no. 285 out of 750 copies.
 leaves, 24, V pp,  leaf, 26 cm. Good condition. Leather binding. Worn corners.
1. Psalm 92, 1932. Black and red print. Printed in 700 copies.
2. Sefer Meshalim, . Facsimile of the Frankfurt am Main 1697 edition, which included woodcuts. 58 leaves, 26 cm. Good condition. Fadede spine, partly missing.
3. Die Fabeln des Kuhbuches, in Übertragung, 1926. German translation of the "Sefer Meshalim" (previous item).
4. Die Juden, Ein Lustspiel in einem Aufzuge, Gotthold Ephraim Lessing, 1929. Printed in 600 copies.
5. Die Juden, Ein Lustspiel in einem Aufzuge, Gotthold Ephraim Lessing. Additional copy, out of an edition of 200 copies printed manually for the society members.
6. Ignaz Goldziher, Ein Wort des Gedenkens von Heinrich Loewe, 1929.
7. Die Aufrichtung der Menorah, Enwurf einer Pantomime, Arnold Zweig, 1930. Printed in 250 copies.
8. In Memoriam Aaron Ember, Heinrich Loewe, 1926. No publisher indicated.
Enclosed is a single page issued by the Soncino Company, from 1926, announcing the sale of Raphael Frank’s book on Hebrew typefaces, published by Berthold, to society members.
9. Die Umkehr des Abtrunnigen, Arnold Zweig. 1925. 500-copy edition.
10. Des Moses Maimonides Morgengebet bevor er seine Kranken besuchte. Physician's Prayer, by Maimonides. 1931. Red and black print.
11. Mitteilungen der Soncino-Gesellschaft. 1931. Booklets 5-10.
Size and condition vary.
Books were not checked thoroughly and are sold As Is.
Rahel rechtet mit Gott, Legende, Stefan Zweig, Mit holzschnitten von Walter Preisser. Published by Aldus Druck für Soncino-Gesellschaft. Berlin, 1930. German.
Rahel rechtet mit Gott, legend by Stefan Zweig, with two woodcuts by Walter Preisser. Copy no. 272 out of an edition of 370 copies.
 leaves, 18 cm. Good condition. Foxing.
Two books, bibliophilic editions, published by Tarshish, 1943-1947.
* MiBeit Defuso shel Menashe ben Israel, Avraham Yaari. Tarshish, Jerusalem, 1947. Copy out of a bibliophilic edition of 300 copies. Enclosed is a typewritten letter printed on printing press stationery, announcing that the book was given as a gift and this edition is not for sale.
14 leaves, 24 cm. Good-fair codition. Loose spine.
* Af'apei Zvi, one hundred lust-poems by Hebrew poets in Spain and the Orient. Tarshish. Jerusalem, 1943. Numbered copy 116/150.
 leaf, 109 pp,  leaf, 17 cm. Good-fair condition, stains.
L'invité des Morts, Dans Notre Synagogue, L'epée, Lampes neuves, Franz Kafka. Presses du Livre Francais, Paris, .
Four short stories by Franz Kafka, translated into French. Bibliophile edition printed om thick paper with engravings by Otto Wols. Numbered copy 156/250.
28 pp +  engraving,  pp, 26.5 cm. Good condition, binding slightly loose.
Zibet und Ambra, Phantasien aus dem alten Orient, Otto Burchard. Frankfurt: Carl Fr. Schulz, .
14 reproductions of works by Willi Geiger. Copy out of a limited edition of 25 copies.
 leaves +  plates, 29 cm. Good condition. Stains. Ex-Libris.
Briefköpfe und Initialen 40 Dekorative Leisten, von Willi Geiger. Frankfurt: Carl Fr. Schulz, 1910.
Catalogue of 40 monograms and illuminated letters designed by Willi Geiger. Numbered copy, 22/200.
 leaves, 21 cm. Good condition. Inscription in pen on inner side of front cover (from 1910). Some tears and folds to binding.
Das Stiftsfräulein und der Tod [The Canoness and Death], by Alfred Döblin. Berlin-Wilmersdorf: A.R. Meyer, . German.
Story by Jewish-German author Alfred Döblin. With five impressive woodcuts by Ernst Ludwig Kirchner (1880-1938), German painter and printmaker, one of the founders of the group of Expressionist painters Der Brucke. This story by Döblin is the first literary work illustrated by Kirchner.
 pp +  leaves (woodcuts), 23.5 cm. Bound in a new leather binding, without front cover. Part of the original front cover - a woodcut by Kirchner - is inlaid in the binding. Good condition.
Die Ballette des Deutschen Theaters. Published by Erich Reiss, Berlin, 1918.
The Ballet in the German Theatre, with a dozen lithographs in color by Ernst Stern. Copy (not numbered) out of an edition of 200 copies.
, 8,  pp +  plates, 48X31 cm. Good condition. Half vellum binding, stains to binding.
Reden, Berichte und Weissagungen Jesajas. Published by Max Perl, Berlin, 1918. German.
Chapters from the Book of Isaiah translated into German by Lazarus Goldschmidt. Frontispiece portrait of Isaiah the Prophet and decorated initial letters, colored by hand. Numbered copy 50/200.
Eliezer Lazarus Goldschmidt (1871-1950) was a Judaism scholar and an orentalist, translator of the Babylonian Talmud into German.
86,  pp. 34.5 cm. Good condition. Stains. Leather binding slightly damaged.
Ein Landarzt, kleine erzählungen, Franz Kafka. Munich and Leipzig: Kurt Wolff, 1919. German.
First edition of a collection of short stories by Franz Kafka, published during his lifetime. The book is titled after one of the short stories in it - "A Country Doctor".
The copy offered here is bound in a half-leather binding; the spine is made of dark leather, with the title of the book and name of the author in gilt letters.
, 189,  pp. 23 cm. Fair condition. Front endpaper missing. Foxing. Worn spine, with tears, gilt titles somewhat blurred. Damage at margins of binding.
Junge Berliner Kunst [Young Art from Berlin], by Joachim Kirchner.
Sixth booklet in the series Wasmuths Kunsthefte. Berlin: Ernst Wasmuth, . German.
Thirteen lithographs in black-and-white by the Berlin-based artists Ernst Fritsch, Ludwig Meidner, Arthur Grunenberg, Kurt Badt, Franz Heckendorf, Bruno Krauskopf and others. With an introduction and short biographies. The cover, printed in black and green, is a lithograph by Adolph Köglsperger.
4 pp, 13 plates, 31.5 cm. Fair condition. Foxing. Tears. Creases.
Eli, nach der Schrift neu geordnet von M. J. Bin Gorion, [Eli, by Mikha Yosef Bin-Gorion (Berdyczewski(. Leipzig: Insel, 1919. German.
Chapter from the Book of "Shmuel A", translated into German and accompanied by three lithographs created by Lovis Corinth. Two small lithographs and an additional frontispiece lithograph, signed in pencil by the artist. Copy no. 4 out of an eddition of 150 copies printed on paper of good quality and bound in velum.
34,  pp, 25.5 cm. Good condition. Damage to margins of binding.
Portfolio of the first year of the annual "Jahrbuch Der Original Graphik" [edited by Prof. Dr. Hans Wolfgang Singer]. Published by Wohlgemuth & Lissner, Berlin, .
Ten prints, out of which eight are engravings in black and white and two are woodcuts in color by various artists, among them: Emil Orlik, Lovis Cointh, Georg Gelbke, Otto Fischer and others. All of the prints are numbered in pencil, 109/150. In this copy the title page and text pages are missing.
Prints in different sizes on leaves 52.5X35.5 cm. Good-fair condition. Stains. Wear at margins. Tears to folder.
Spuk, Drei Phantastische Geschichten, Herbert Barber. Leipzig/Vienna/Zurich: Verlag der weiner graphischen Werstatte, .
Book with four illustrations by Arthur Paunzen. Numbered copy, 2/300, signed by the author and the artist.
43,  pp +  illustration plates, 24.5 cm. Good condition. Stains, damage to binding.
Genesis, cap. Primum' secundum et tertium. Paris: Leon Pichon, 1921. French and Latin.
The first three chapters of the Book of Genesis. Each verse appears in French and Latin. Numerous woodcuts by Hermann-Paul are integrated into the text. Printed on thick paper. A bibliophilic edition of 480 copies, signed and numbered copy, no. 363, signed by the publisher on the colophon. Hebrew title on the cover – Bereshit.
61,  pp,  leaf, 37 cnm. Fair-good condition, wear to margins of leaves and to binding. Paper folder with folding flaps; front part is detached and one flap is detached.
Rheinsberg, Ein Bilderbuch fur Verliebte. Mit Kupfern von Kurt Szafranski, Kurt Tucholsky. Berlin: Axel Juncker, . German.
Book by Kurt Tucholsky accompanied by six engraving-plates created by Kurt Szafranski. Numbered copy, 110/1000, signed by the author and by the artist on the colophon.
101 pp,  leaf +  engraving plates, 20.5 cm. Good condition. Paper of good quality. Brown leather binding with gilt decoration. Some damage to binding. Gilt upper edges.
Allerlei absonderliche Tiere, 40 Bilderbogen [All kinds of strange animals, 40 picture leaves], by Uriel Birnbaum. Vienna: Steyrermühl, [ca. 1926]. German.
A book comprising forty illustration leafs by Uriel Birnbaum, originally published in the Viennese weekly for children "Der Regenbogen" [rainbow], for which Birnbaum worked in the years 1925-1926. The illustrations (in German: Bilderbogen), are in the format of comic strip – each one is divided into six rectangles telling a story through pictures (each leaf about a different animal). Below each picture is a rhymed text in German.
OCLC lists one copy only.
83,  pp., 34 cm. Good condition. Some stains and damage. Tear to one leaf. Title page partly detached. Damage and stains to cover, tears to spine. Ownership ink stamps on two leaves.
Works by expressionist artist, poet and author Uriel Birenbaum (1894-1956). * Volk zwischen Nationen, Ein zurückgewiesener Beitrag zu dem Sammelwerk "Der Jud ist Schuld…!" Self-published. Vienna, 1932. German. Signed and dedicated by Birenbaum. A drawing by the author appears on the binding. * Glaubeige Kunst. Published by R. Löwit (Dr. Präger). Vienna and Berlin, 1924. German. Surrealistic works by Uriel Birenbaum. * Der Seelen Spiegel. Published by Thyrsos Verlag. Leipzig and Vienna, 1924. German. Collection of surrealist works by Uriel Birenbaum. * In Fesseln, Jizchok Leib Perez. Published by R. Löwit (Dr. Präger). Vienna and Berlin, 1920. German. Cover illustration created by Uriel Birenbaum. * Die Nacht auf dem alten Markt, Jizchok Leib Perez. Published by R. Löwit (Dr. Präger).Vienna and Berlin, 1920. German. Cover illustration created by Uriel Birenbaum. * Die goldene Kette, Jizchok Leib Perez. Published by by R. Löwit (Dr. Präger). Vienna and Berlin, 1920. German. Cover illustration created by Uriel Birenbaum. Six books and booklets. Size and condition vary.
10 Radierungen über das Thema Mütter von Michel Fingesten. Published by Der Neuen Kunsthandlung, Berlin, 1920.
Ten engravings (including title page) by Michel Fingesten (1884-1943), signed in pencil. Accompanied by short texts by Rudolf Leonhard. Numbered copy, 27/100. Illustrated cover.
 pp + 10 engraving plates, 41 cm. Good condition. Some stains to endpapers and to binding. Contained in a cardboard folder, damaged.
Madame Flamingos Schatten, Sári Ferenczi. Published by Fritz Gurlitt, Berlin, 1921. German.
Book with ten lithographs by Josef Bato, one lithograph signed in pencil. Numbered copy, XLII/C, signed by the author.
31,  pp +  lithograph plates, 39.5 cm. Good condition. Damp staining. Binding slightly loose. Damage and tears to spine and binding.
Holzschnitte von Hans Weiditz, Max J. Friedlander. Published by Kunstwissenschaft, Berlin, 1922.
Reproductions of woodcuts, created by Hans Weiditz. Printed in black and red on paper of good quality. Numbered copy, 8/150.
32 pp, 47 cm. Good condition. Stains. Damage to binding. Cardboard case, damaged.
Das Buch Ruth, Mit Funf Radierungen von Lilly Steiner. Published by Haybach Verlag, Vienna, 1923.
Book of Ruth translated into German, with five engravings by Lilly Steiner. Numbered copy, 16/60, signed by Steiner.
 leaves, 54 cm. Significant foxing. Binding with vellum spine and corners, damaged.
Musikalische Novellen, E. T. A. Hoffmann. Berlin: Hans Heinrich Tillgner, 1923. German.
Novel by Hoffmann with six engravings by Ernst Oppler. Numbered copy, 176/300, signed in pencil by Oppler.
104,  pp + 6 engravings, 21 cm. Good condition. Lower margins of the engraving plates are slightly shorter than the book's leaves. Binding with leather spine and corners, slightly damaged.
Der Maler Viktor Tischler, von Arthur Roessler. Vienna-Leipzig: Carl Konege, 1924. German. A monograph dedicated to the work of the Viennese painter Viktor Tischler. Numbered copy, 45/100, including a signed lithograph and the artist's dedication from 1925. Viktor Tischler (1890-1951) was born in Vienna. Lived in Paris from 1928 till 1940. Following the Nazi occupation, he emigrated to the U.S., and in 1949 returned to France. 34, 30, 9 pp. 29 cm. Good condition. Binding with leather spine and corners, wear and damage to spine and corners. Color reproduction facing the title page is detached.
Nathan Der Weise, Zu dem Dramatischen Gedicht von G. E. Lessing, 1924.
Portfolio with a dozen engravings by Theodor Kammerer, signed in pencil. Dedication handwritten by the artist.
 plate +  engravings, 44 cm. Fair condition. Stained. Tears to folder.
Das Buch Tobias. Published by Volksverband der Bucherfreunde Wegweiser Verlag, Berlin, 1925.
With twelve engravings by Walter Wellenstein, signed in pencil. Printed portrait on front cover.
34 pp +  plates, 39 cm. Good condition. Stains. Damage to binding. Leather spine and corners.
Li von H.M. Weiss, Begleitet Durch Radierungen/Aquarelle und Handzeichnungen von Emil Orlik. Berlin: Eigenbrodler, . German.
Accompanied by 29 reproductions and works by Emil Orlik; 5 engravings, signed in pencil. 8 reproductions in color. Numbered copy, 150/1000. Signed by the artist. Luxury binding with gold embossing.
 leaves, 78 pp +  plates, 25.5 cm. Good condition. Paper of good quality. Miniature stains. Binding slightly loose with minor damage. Gilt edges.
Lovis Corinth, Selbstbiographie. Vorzugsausgabe Mit 22 Schwarzen Und 4 Farbigen Bildnissen Und 2 Original-Radierungen [Lovis Corinth, Authobiography, special edition…] Leipzig: S. Hirzel, 1926. German.
The autobiography of German artist Lovis Corinth. With 26 reproductions of his paintings (four of them in color) and two original etchings. Copy no. 63 out of an edition of 150 numbered copies. Ex Libris designed by his wife, Charlotte Berend-Corinth (etching, signed in pencil)..
, 194,  , 194,  pp. +  plates, 27 cm. Good condition. Fine binding with gilt decorations. Gilt edges. Owners' stamp.
56 tseykhenungen fun roten-farband [56 drawings from the Soviet Union], William Gropper. Paris: "le triangle" . Yiddish.
A book with 56 drawings and caricatures depicting daily-life figures and the political atmosphere during the first years of the Soviet Union, created by William Gropper, an American artist after visiting the Soviet Union in 1927 with the author Theodor Dreiser.
 leaf, 56 drawing plates,  pp, 28 cm. Good condition. Some stains. Ink stamps. New binding, original cover mounted on the binding.
The Lamentations of Jeremiah. Wales: Gregynog Press, 1933. English.
A bibliophile edition of the Book of Lamentations, with woodcuts by the English artist Blair Hughes-Stanton (1902-1981). Copy no. 148 out of an edition of 250 copies; bound in a fine leather binding.
 leaves, 38.5 cm. Good condition. Damage to binding.
"Greiner-Bibel" booklets published by Mainzer Press, Mainz, 1934.
19 booklets with numerous woodcuts created by Daniel Greiner and accompanied by a German text. 14 booklets with bibilical scenes from Psalms, Prophets and Ketuvim and five booklets of the New Testament.
19 booklets, 36 cm. Good-fair condition. Tears and creases to paper wrappers.
Ou Finit Le Desert, Rene Lacote. Paris: Maeght Editeur, 1946.
Portfolio with a novel by Rene Lacote accompanied by ten lithographs, by Gilbert Rigaud. Numbered copy, 211/350. Signed by the author.
70,  pp, 32 cm. Good condition. Cardboard slipcase
* The Book of Job. New-York: The Limited Editions Club, 1946. English. * The Book of Ruth. New York: The Limited Editions Club, 1947. English. Two books, Job and Book of Ruth illustrated by Arthur Szyk. Bibliophilic editions, numbered copies signed by Arthur Szyk. Fine bindings with leather and embossed gilt images of Job and Ruth. Job: 148,  pp; Ruth: 42,  pp, 30.5 cm. Very good condition. Inserted in a gilt cardboard slipcase.
Hiob, in Holz Geschnitten von Werner Gothein. Published by Hans Gunther Ziegler, German, 1953, [Schwenningen/Neckar]. German.
Job, 101 woodcuts by Werner Gothein depicting scenes from the book of Job. Numbered copy, 135/500. Signed by the artist.
 leaves, 45 cm. Good condition. Tears and stains to binding.
Provence Aux Depens d'un Amateur, Giono [Jean]. Paris: Bernard Klein, 1954. French.
Jean Giono's story "Provence", with lithographs by Moïse Kisling. Ttwelve color lithograph-plates and black-and-white lithographs incorporated in the text (unbound signatures held in cardboard case). Hand-colored engraving on cardboard case. In addition, a portfolio with 12 lithograph-plates of lithpgraphs that appear in the text, a lithograph that was not printed in the book, and a black-and-white print of the engraving appearing on the cardboard case. Hand-colored engraving on cardboard case, identical to the one on the second case.
Copy no. 74 out of an edition of 280 copies. The two portfolios are held in a stiff cardboard case, with vellum spine.
128 pp. Lithograph folio:  print-plates, 39 cm. Very good condition. Some wear. Light damage to cardboard case spine.
The Legends of Noah, Ten Woodcuts, Bernard Reder. Published by Galleria d'Arte Moderna L'Indiano, Florence, 1956.
Ten woodcuts by Bernard Reder, numbered and signed in pencil. With a foreword by Carl Zigrosser. Numbered copy, 23/65. Signed by the artist.
 leaves +  woodcuts, 47X38 cm. Good condition. Stains.
"The Lapis", by Irene Rice Pereira (1902-1971). A booklet with lithographs and a dedication, handwritten by the artist. Published by the author. New-York, 1957. Eleven large drawings and five drawings in color lithographic printing, accompanied by captions. A dedication to a woman who inspired one of the works appears on the endpaper.  pp. V, V,  large lithograph illustrations and  drawings in lithographic printing, 53 cm. Good condition. Spine of binding is detached and damaged.
Portrait de Abram Krol par Maurice Toesca. Published by Manuel Bruker, Paris, 1957. French.
Portfolio presenting a collection of works by Abram Krol with introduction by Claude Roger-Marx. Accompanied by six single engraving-plates, three additional engravings, a reproduction of a woodcut and initials within the text, all created by Abram Krol. On the paper cover appears an engraving printed on a woodcut, also created by Krol. Numbered copy 72/200.
 title cover,  leaves, 32.5 cm. Good condition. Stains.
Three books with reproductions in black and white and in color, lithographs, and original engravings by Johnny Friedlaender:
* Johnny Frielaender, Oeuvre, 1961-1965. New-York: Touchstone Publishers. Numbered copy 172/200. Original color lithograph and an original color engraving, signed and numbered in pencil.
* Friedlaender Radierungen propylaen. Frankfurt-Berlin-Vienna: Propylaen, 1972. Numbered copy 57/150. Original color engraving, signed and numbered in pencil.
* Friedlaender Zeichnungen. Krefeld: Galeriew Peerlings, 1984. Numbered copy 435/1000.
Very good overall condition.
Saul und David in der Hohle, Max Zweig. Published by Hans Deutsch, Vienna, .
"Saul and David in the Cave", play by Max Zweig with five lithographs (including title page) by Hans Fronius, signed in pencil. Numbered copy x/xxx.
26 pp +  lithographs, 54 cm. Good condition. Cardboard case, damaged.
Der Prediger Salomo, 28 Zeichnungen mit Text 1965, Otto Ruths. Hamburg: Hans Christians Druckerei, 1965. German.
German translation of Kohelet, accompanied by prints of drawings created by Otto Ruths and signed by him. Limited edition of 300 copies. Copy no. 10. Unbound leaves in a cardboard folder. Artist's signature on the reverse of the first leaf.
, 28 plates, 24X30 cm. Very good condition.
Ecclesiastes, or the Preacher, copied and illustrated by Ben Shahn. Paris: Trianon Press, 1967. Hebrew and English.
The Book of Ecclesiastes, written and illustrated by Jewish-American artist Ben Shahn. The book was published in an edition totalling 240 copies. The present copy is from the deluxe edition of 26 copies, including 2 original lithographs signed by the artist and a portfolio with a set of the works and a series of progressive states of one of the plates. The book and portfolio are held in the original cardboard case.
 pp,  signed lithographs,  plates,  prints (progressive states), 33 cm. Good condition. Damage to cardboard box, one side detached.
Some Considerations on the Keeping of Negroes, 1754, Considerations of the Keeping of the Negroes, 1762, John Woolman. Published by The Gehenna Press. Northhampton, 1970. English.
A bibliophilic edition of John Woolman's writings. Woolman, one of the first anti-slavery activists, wrote the essays after traveling the south and witnessing slavery firsthand. Woolman's portrait, created by Leonard Baskin (1922-2000), appears on the title page. Edition of 250 copies on the 200th anniversary of Woolman's death. This is copy no. 200 signed by Baskin. The book was published by the publishing house founded by Baskin to publish his own works.
84,  pp,  leaves, 20.5 cm. Very good condition. Leather spine.
Martin Buber XX Récits Hassidiques, traduits de l'allemand par Armel Guerne, eaux-fortes originales de Eric Brauer, Editeuropa Anstalt & Galerie Sydow, 1972. French.
Récit Hassidiques, 20 engravings in color, numbered 66/300 and signed in pencil by Eric Brauer, depicting Hassidic stories by Martin Buber. Translated from German by Armel Guerne. 150 copies were published in French and a similar number of copies in the original language – German. In addition to the engravings, ornamented initials appear at the beginning of each story. Handsome folder.
93 pp (20 engraving sheets),  leaf,  pp, 36 cm. Good condition.
The Book of Lamentations Illustrated by Mark Podwal. New-York: National Council on Art in Jewish Life, 1974. Hebrew and English.
The Book of Lamentations – Eicha – translated into English with drawings by Mark Podwal. The images depict the persecution of the Jewish people throughout history, combined with Jewish motifs. Introduction by by the artist about the works in the book. Signed in pencil and numbered 44/100.
Two separate drawing plates are enclosed, signed and numbered in pencil.
 pp, 30.5 cm. Good condition.
* Pour nos petits frères russes!, Dons d'écrivains et d'artistes de l'Europe occidentale pour les enfants mourant de faim dans les districts russes ravagés par la famine. Dr. Fridtjof Nansen, Marguerite E. Bienze. Published by Fridtjof Nansen, Geneva, 1922. German, English, French, Norweigian and more.
* Für unsere kleinen russischen Brüder!, Gaben westeuropäischer Schriftsteller und Künstler für die notleidenden Kinder in den Hungersnotdistrikten Russlands.
Dr. Fridtjof Nansen, Marguerite E. Bienze. Published by Fridtjof Nansen, Geneva, 1922. German, English, French, Norweigian and more.
Two books; A German edition and a French edition of an anthology of prose, poetry and prints donated by authors, among them Herman Hesse and Israel Zangwil, and artists, among them Albert Guss and Steinlen, all from West Europe, to Russian children in famine-ravaged areas. Publication of this anthology was initiated by the diplomat, explorer and Nobel Peace Prize Laureate, Fridtjof Nansen.
French edition: 198 pp +  printout plates. German edition: 204 pp +  printout plates, 22.5 cm. Good condition. Stains. Some tears to margins of leaves of the German edition. Tears to spine of French edition. Spine of French edition is torn and mostly lacking. Prints in color and black and white, part of which are mounted on leaves. One additional print is included in the consecutive pagination.
* Pasn likhṭ (a ḳinder-ṿelṭ in finf bilder) by Esther Shumiatcher. Published by Arbeyṭer ring bildungs department, New-York,1925. Yiddish.
Several illustrations by Baruch Aronson.
48 pp. 23 cm. Good-fair condition. Some stains. Tears to title-cover. Detached cover.
* Beny (kinder roman), by B. Mozer. Published by Umparteishe yidishe arbeter- kinder-shuln, New York, 1930. Yiddish.
Front cover illustration by Baruch Aronson. Illustrations within the book by Yasha Zeldin.
156,  pp. 20 cm. Good condition. Damage to binding.
Twelve books, some illustrated by Saul Raskin and some devoted to his works.
* Pirkei Avot. New-York: Academy Offset Co., 1940. Two copies.
* Tehilim. New-York: Academy Offset Co., 1942.
* Bereshit. New-York: Academy Offset Co., 1944.
* Sidur Tefilot Israel. New-York: Academy Offset Co, 1945.
* Artzeinu veAmeinu. New-York: Academy Offset Co., 1947. Artist's dedication and signature.
* Kabalah, illustrations, Sefer Yetzira, Zohar. New-York: Academy Offset Co, 1952. Artist's signature.
* Aron HaKodesh, Jewish Life and Lore, New-York: Academy Offset Co, 1955.
* The New Face of Israel. New-York: Academy Offset Co., 1960.
* Mizmor Shir, Shirim U-Pizmonim, Yehezkel Hai El-Big. New-York: Marks Printing Co., 1960.
* Avinu Malkeinu. New-York: Genesis Publishing Corporation, 1966.
* Saul Raskin, Twelve Etchings of Jewish Life. New-York: Arthur Rothmann Fine Arts, 1966.
12 books. Size and condition vary. Books were not thoroughly examined - sold As Is.
Statute of Kalisz, artistic adaptation of the first charter of rights granted to the Jews of Poland (1264), created by Arthur Szyk. Facsimile edition of the original edition, printed in Paris in 1932. Published by Wydawnictwo Graf_ika, Warsaw, 2012. English, Hebrew, Yiddish, German, Polish, Italian and Spanish.
Arthur Szyk (1894-1951), one of the most outstanding Jewish artists in the twentieth century, started his work on the scroll in the mid-1920s, when he resided in Paris. In the face of rising anti-Semitism in Poland, Syzk decided to react through a work of art expressing the unique and long affinity between Polish Jews and their homeland. As subject of his
work Szyk chose the Statute of Kalisz, the first document of its kind securing the liberties of Jews in Greater Poland Voivodeship, in central Poland. The original statute was issued by Duke Boleslaus (1224-1276) in 1264 and reflected tolerance, sympathy and closeness towards his Jewish subjects.
45 illustrated plates. Size of plates: 32X38.5 cm. Very good condition. Thick paper. Plates are wrapped with inflexible paper and inserted into an elegant leather portfolio partly covered with cloth and in an outer slipcase. Enclosed are a book and an explanatory booklet with introductions.
Wieland, Deutsche Wochenschrift für Kunst und Literatur. Published by Wieland Verlag Julius Bard, Berlin, 1915-1919. German.
A collection of about 58 issues of Wieland, a German periodical for art and literature published during World War I. All revenues were donated to the Red Cross. Approximately 58 issues.
Various writers such as Hermann Hesse and Lotte von Mendelssohn-Bartholdy.
The periodical features lithographs, engravings, drawings and paintings by the best artists of the period, among them Erich Büttner, Lyonel Feininger, Th. Th. Heine, Emil Orlik and Hermann Struck.
34 cm. Fair-good condition. Slightly dry paper. Detached leaves. Some tears.
Wieland, Deutsche Wochenschrift für Kunst und Literatur. Berlin: Wieland Verlag Julius Bard, 1915-1916. German.
A volume of the first-year issues of "Wieland", a German art and literature weekly, published during World War I. The journal's entire revenue was donated to the Red Cross. Issues 1-52 (some doubled). 44 booklets in all.
Writers include: Gerhard Hauptmann, Hermann Hesse, Lotte von Mendelssohn Bartholdy, Arthur Silbergleit and Jakob Wasermann.
Artists whose works appear in the journal include Erich Büttner, Lyonel Feininger, Max Liebermann, Emil Orlik and Hermann Struck.
Volume 33 cm. Good condition. Slightly brittle paper.
* Der Querschnitt. Düsseldorf, Berlin, Frankfurt and Köln: Galerie Fletchtheim Press. 1922. German. Copy no. 350/400.
Three albums with reproductions (black and white) of paintings by the painter and poet David Burliuk (1882-1967):
* Art of David Burliuk, Erikh Gollerbach. Published by M.N. Burliuk, New-York, 1930. Russian and English, cover and title page in Russian. New binding with original cover.
* Burliuk in 1947/48: 8th exhibition at ACA. Published by M. Burliuk, Hamton Bays, (New-York), . Published as the periodical "Color and Rhyme" issue no. 17. Stains. Partly detached leaves. New binding.
* David Burliuk, 55 Years of Painting. Long Beach-New York: Lido Galleries, 1962. English. Works from the collection of Ella Jaffe.
3 albums. Size and condition vary.
Let There Be Sculpture, An Autobiography, Jacob Epstein. London: Michael Joseph Ltd., .
Autobiography by Jacob Epstein (1880-1959). Accompanied by 48 picture-plates of his works. Numbered copy 51/100, signed by Epstein. Dedication handwritten by Epstein on leaf preceding title page.
335 pp +  photography plates, 23 cm. Good condition. Stains. Vellum binding, slightly damaged.
Four books with engravings and reproductions of lithographs by Hermann Struck, and a short publication penned by him, 1916-1925.
Die Kunst des Radierens [The Art of Engraving], by Herman Struck. Berlin: Paul Cassirer, 1923. German. Fifth edition.
This classic book on the art of engraving explains the process of creating and printing an engraving. It was published in five editions, each containing different original engravings. This edition features many works, including four originals: Hermann Struck (engraving), Oskar Kokoschka (lithograph), Max Lieberman (engraving) and Ernst Barlach (woodcut). Gilt decorations to the binding.
25.5 cm, 331 pp. Good condition, binding slightly loose.
Jungjüdische Gedichte. Published by Verein Jüdischer Studenten an der Kgl. Techn. Hochschule Berlin-Charlottenburg [Union of Jewish Students in Berlin University – Charlottenburg], Berlin, 1906.
Anthology of poems by various writers, among them: Israel Zangwill, Max Jungmann, Heinrich Samuel and others. Printed on thick paper of good quality and featuring several prints by the artists Hermann Struck, Jozef Israëls and Ephraim Moshe Lilien. This copy is dedicated and signed by Struck on the title page.
43 pp, 20 cm. Fair condition. Stains. Wear to margins of leaves. Rebound with original paper back cover.
Kriegsgefangene, Hundert Steinzeichnungen von Hermann Struck.Published by Dietrich Reimer (Ernst Vohsen). Berlin, 1916. German.
One hundred lithographs by Hermann Struck – portraits of World War I war prisoners (each portrait titled in German). Text by German anthropologist Felix von Luschan.
In 1915 Struck joined the German army as a volunteer. He first served as an interpreter and censor, and later was transferred to the Russian front where he was in charge of Jewish affairs. During the years 1915-1916 Struck created portraits of prisoners in German camps, with the authorization and support of the German General Staff, and documented in his works different “types” of prisoners. The project was done in collaboration with anthropologist Felix von Luschan who created a classification method for people by skin color and was of the researchers of “Physical Anthropology of Jews”. The results of this joint project were compiled in this book.
 leaves, 27 pp,  pp,  leaves (portraits). 38 cm. Good condition. Damage to binding.
Das graphische Werk von Hermann Struck, Arnold Fortlage, Karl Schwarz. Published by Paul Cassirer. Berlin, 1911. German.
Catalogue of Hermann Struck's work with four original engravings by him, in addition to numerous facsimiles of works. Engravings are signed in the plate.
 leaf, 113 pp +  engraved plates. 22.5 cm. Good condition. Foxing and age-related stains on engraved plates. Binding slightly stained. Ex-library copy.
Portrait of Nikisch Artúr / 1904 / engraving / 33.5X27.5 cm / signed, captioned and dated / matted, folder with emblem of "Verein für Original-Radierung zu Berlin", enclosed title page (printing date on title page: 1911)
Portrait of Rabbi Akiva Eiger / engraving / 33X44 cm / Signed in the plate in initials and signed in pencil / framed, unexamined out of frame